Help with malfunctioning forks

RAZOR1965
RAZOR1965 Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in The workshop
Hi

First post so go easy on me. I may be posting in the wrong place, asking the wrong question or even asking something 'bleedin obvious'.

I'm 48. Been cycling about 4 years. Know next to nothing about mechanics of the thing. I bought a Giant Roam XR1 in 2010 for £850. Nice bike. Suits me perfect for my riding. Anything up to 80 miles across wales so I do use it. Small roads and tracks. Sometimes I'll tackle really big kerbs. :-)

Anyway, my front forks no longer lock out. There is still movement when there shouldn't be, PLUS, there is a bit of a clunk.

1. Whats wrong?

2. Can it be repaired? If yes, who can I trust to do it. The local bike shops are really poor with their knowledge and seem only too eager to take it apart for a service at £35 without even knowing IF it can be fixed.

3. What the hell can I buy to replace it? In considering this, consider that the forks are (probably) a relatively budget component of the bike and I do understand this. It's no use saying 'get these 'better' forks, they're only £400'. You'll be missing the point. I want to replace like with like.

If anybody can give me any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Regards

Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the forks are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry. I told you it'd be hard work..
    The website says they are : Lighter SR Suntour NCX ‘V2’ suspension fork, Magnesium lower and hydraulic ‘speedlock’ lockout.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#features

Thanks Nick
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How much movement? I had a pair of those and it's normal to get about 5mm of movement even when locked, it's also possible the cap is misaligned, you need to remove it, make the sure the splines are fully twisted to locked and refit, if the caps in the wrong place it won't twist far enough to lock them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    The clunking noise you mention could be an indicator that something inside is broke, I would advise taking it to a Giant dealer as Giant have a very good parts back up, mind you by the time you've factored labor and parts cost it might be cheaper to buy a new fork!
  • The Rookie
    It's a Suntour, easy to service, no need for a Giant dealer, any LBS can service Suntours, but DIY is a cinch.....do you actually know anything about forks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    It's a Suntour, easy to service, no need for a Giant dealer, any LBS can service Suntours, but DIY is a cinch.....do you actually know anything about forks?

They might be easy to service but getting hold of parts is another story... Giant have a very good warranty/servicing parts inventory that Giant dealers can order/check stock online.
  • The Rookie
    What parts are worth swapping on one of those?

I repeat do you know anything about servicing forks?