Swollen A**e - help!

jamesnorrisuk
jamesnorrisuk Posts: 7
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
You've probably heard this one before - started a 30 mile round trip commute (riding a Specialized Sirrus Elite Disk), and after 45 miles, my a**e has swollen like a peach - not a soft juicy peach, but a murder peach with needles sticking out of it every which way. It hurts to touch the saddle, never mind rest on it for 15 miles.

Im using Endura Zyme 3/4 length shorts (no insert) and cotton boxers. No chafing issue, just the swelling.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get a pair of padded shorts, these will help.

How long have you been ridding for? it takes a while for your a**e to get used to it...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I was thinking of getting a liner for the shorts...

I used to ride a lot but I haven't really ridden for 6 years? I know I will get used to it but I could do with a short term solution so that I don't loose the momentum!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get some Liner shorts or some Padded shorts, these will help especially on a 30 mile RT. even when you do get used to it, you should continue to wear them.

otherwise get a new A**e...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Some people don't get on with Spesh saddles as they put the weight on the sit bones and have that gap in them. I hate them myself, they are really for people who have problems with their bollox geting sore rather than their ar*e.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As others have said;

Padded shorts or inserts will help
    Chamois cream will help, though understand if commuting & no showers at work might make it an issue
    Anti-inflamatory cream for afterwards will always help - sudocrem, germolene etc
    Geting your sit bones measured is a good idea (Spec saddles come in quite a few widths as they offer a measuring)
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Thanks for all the tips... Wish I had got the bike through a Specialized Concept Store so I could have had the proper analysis rather than Evans, who just asked how I felt (and took 8 days to sort the finance).

Lesson learnt.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Lose the boxers as it'll be these constantly rubbing that's causing the problem, chamois or Vaseline while the inflammation goes down.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • danlikesbikes
    Lose the boxers as it'll be these constantly rubbing that's causing the problem, chamois or Vaseline while the inflammation goes down.

^-^ hot from the ride & its like riding wearing wet/dry sandpaper :cry:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I've got some Endura liners for the shorts (and ditched the boxers) and things are much better. Indeed I had a breakthrough moment on Friday eve and started properly enjoying the ride - jackpot!
  • danlikesbikes
    I've got some Endura liners for the shorts (and ditched the boxers) and things are much better. Indeed I had a breakthrough moment on Friday eve and started properly enjoying the ride - jackpot!

Good to know & glad you had an enjoyable ride - may they all continue that way for you!