Compact Chainset Sprocket Sizes

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm thinking of going for a compact chainset, however I'm not too keen on the idea of only having a 50 tooth big chain wheel. What's the biggest chain wheel I could run with a 34 tooth inner ring and still have decent shifting?

I've seen compact outer rings of about 54 tooth, ok I don't want to go that big but...

Cheers
This is why!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Wrong forum perhaps?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you're fit enough to spin a 53, why do you need a compact?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd be reluctant to go much wider than 16t, perhaps go 36/52?

Are you running an 11-up cassette? 50-11 is a taller gear than 53-12, there's only a few races where I've ever really used higher, at those speeds get aero and coast!
  • Yeah, wrong forum, that'll teach me to use my phone to post whilst on a train, I'll ask in the road section

But thanks for the replys.

Oh! and a compact with a big outer ring, I live on dartmoor and like to get up the hills as well as speed along the flats and down the hills.

Cheers
    This is why!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Oh! and a compact with a big outer ring, I live on dartmoor and like to get up the hills as well as speed along the flats and down the hills.

Aye, and like I said, a 50/11 is still a pretty reasonable top gear for a recreational rider, at a modest 100rpm you're still talking 36mph, much beyond that if descending you will be quicker to tuck in and coast.