Best trail center for a 120mm HT?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited April 2013 in Routes
I live in Hull, Yorkshire so my local trail center is Dalby forest which is a great center granted but its really really rough in sections and you cant help but slow down with it being so rough and kill the fun a little. After visiting Coed y Brenin and Llandegla 2 weeks ago i relised how much more fun they where for the simple fact of them being some what smoother and more tecnical overall although i think dalbys black is harder. So my question is whats the best trail center with great tecnical sections that isnt too rough? Thank you.
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Whinlatter would be nice on a 120mm FS. On a 100mm hardtail it is fun and on my 150mm FS it's probably too much bike (but still fun).
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Hamsterleys worth a look too. Have to agree with Mcnultycop though, Winlatter would be excellent on a HT - last time I was up there I had a 100mm travel Anthem that was a blast.
    If you do head to the lakes, make a weekend of it and also do a lap of Grizedale (there's a red loop plus some more natural / bridleway stuff off the red thats good as well).
  • I have a 120mm HT. Whinlatter is great, as is Gisburn. Cannock Chase is good fun, and I coped fine with the Red Run at Stile Cop. Llandegla is all easy done, as is Grizedale although I didn't think much of the North Face trail.

I go to Lee Quarry from time to time and enjoy it a lot, it's all rideable. Last time I went I just pottered round there without going up to Cragg Quarry, had a good time but Cragg is easily done on a HT too. However, I could defo see how a full sus would help smooth out the rough stuff there.

Going to Coed Y Brenin and hopefully Penmachno in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping to cope with all that no problem.

I would guess that you could ride anywhere on a HT, full sus bikes haven't been around forever and everyone coped before they arrived (although I suppose trail centres are relatively new and some features are designed for big bikes.)