What's with the baseball caps?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc. when cycling historically has its own style of cap that looks much better in any case?

I hate baseball caps.

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    A 'casquette' is seen as bikewear, whereas baseball caps can be worn for any photo opportunity where the rider isn't wearing dress clothes ... and fashion ...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Most of the times i see baseball caps the riders are in bikewear in any case though, e.g. before and after races. I think it would be nice if the sponsors used the appropriate headwear on such occasions. Might even make casquettes more fashionable and so give them a new marketing tool, you never know..
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    neeb wrote:
    Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc.

Probably because in most of the interviews etc the camera is a head only shot e.g. Spartacus @ RVV last weekend with his sponsors cap on.

Guess the teams & sponsors have just figured this out that we tend to have more of a football style interview in the press area with the race sponsors logos plastered on a temp wall behind the riders and the camera pointed at riders who then walk in for their allocated 3-5 minute slot.

Do tend to think that it looks a bit 'odd' myself but guess the riders are paid to wear what they are told & thats part of it. For what its worth I recall Rapha doing an interview and stating that they do not have and have not plans to make a Sky baseball cap.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Baseball caps are a huge style failure. They are one of the chavviest items of clothing on the planet.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Baseball caps are a huge style failure. They are one of the chavviest items of clothing on the planet.

Now team onezies to keep warm at mountain top press events would be epic :)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    neeb wrote:
    Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc.
    Probably because in most of the interviews etc the camera is a head only shot e.g. Spartacus @ RVV last weekend with his sponsors cap on.
    At least he doesn't always wear a baseball cap.

8617070379_0b50067dbc.jpg
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    knedlicky wrote:
    At least he doesn't always wear a baseball cap.

8617070379_0b50067dbc.jpg

Would certainly look different if that were part of the team uniform, if a little OTT!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.