Road bike and dodgy back

pastie
pastie Posts: 43
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I've been cycling at a moderate level for some years, but had to ditch the road bike about 5 years ago due to back pain. After years of frustration, I have finally been getting fitness back at spin classes without any problems, but still get some back pain after I do anything more than a gentle ride on the old road bike. I'm mad keen to get back into it, splash out on something shiny etc. but am hesitant to do so if this is recurrent. Any advice? Have been intermittently doing stretches / core exercises. Road bike is 9 year old Trek 1000.

Comments

• I can assure that your bike was set up wrong. i am not back expert so don't quote me on this but if it is a lower central back pain i.e stretch in feel the you stem is either too long or saddle to far back!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    When I bought my first shiny road bike, I injured my back at work at the same time, so I can understand your frustration. Lots of stretches, hamstrings, thighs and glutes. Leg stretches stopped the muscles pulling on my lower back and cured my problem.

Get yourself a raised stem if you have to at first and hopefully your back will become more supple after a while. Whack the old stem back on when it does.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי