Paolo di Canio

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I reckon this will die down soon.

It's funny but we have quite a few swivel-eyed commies like Bob Crow the RMT leader running much more than a football club in the UK (and with much more potential influence on our lives) and nobody is kicking up a fuss about them...

Don't think even Bob Crow is a Stalinist.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's funny but we have quite a few swivel-eyed commies like Bob Crow the RMT leader running much more than a football club in the UK (and with much more potential influence on our lives) and nobody is kicking up a fuss about them...

He describes himself as a communist and has been a member of communist organisations according to Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crow

This suggests he is as well:
    http://www.workersliberty.org/story/2009/10/11/shame-galloway-and-crow-aid-diehard-admirers-stalinist-tyranny
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    nathancom wrote:
    @random man The professor was talking out of his ars*. Italian fascism was always a racist political creed which believed in the supremacy of the Aryan/Mediterranean race of man over other peoples, the refounding of the Roman Empire (the symbology of which provides the name of fascism - fasces). Mussolini was never as consistent in his anti-semitism as Hitler but as early as 1919 he was speaking out against Jewish capital and he was fully engaged in the concept of a racial hierarchy that had grown up following on from the ideas of several late 19th century thinkers. For Di Canio to engage in the theatrics of Fascism and overtly espouse the philosophy marks him out as a racist. What other political beliefs are inherent and unique to Fascism?

Getting your timelines mixed up. Italian fascists were never preoccupied with race. An alliance with the Nazis meant the Nazis had to fit their racial **** in with the alliance. Italy was ( and, relatively, still is) very homogeneous.

And being anti semitic was very common then. To give context, even the uk had quotas for refugees from Nazi rule on the premise that they didn't want too many Jews and they were pretty forward thinking with regard to that.

That doesn't mean the 21st Century Facsism in Italy isn't racist, but don't get the history wrong.

Racism was a bigger deal in the UK than it was in Italy principally because it wasn't homogeneous. The Nazis were famously upset with the italians for their inability to do any of their racial cleansing.
    Admittedly from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Fascism) but:
    "In a 1921 speech in Bologna, Mussolini stated that "Fascism was born... out of a profound, perennial need of this our Aryan and Mediterranean race".[38][39] In this speech Mussolini was referring to Italians as being the Mediterranean branch of the Aryan Race, Aryan in the meaning of people of an Indo-European language and culture.[40] Italian Fascism emphasized that race was bound by spiritual and cultural foundations, and identified a racial hierarchy based on spiritual and cultural factors."

Fascism = Theory of Racial Hierarchy. This is the defining feature of all Fascists. 1921 is very early
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He describes himself as a communist and has been a member of communist organisations according to Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crow

This suggests he is as well:
    http://www.workersliberty.org/story/2009/10/11/shame-galloway-and-crow-aid-diehard-admirers-stalinist-tyranny

Fair enough.

I just take him to be very good at getting the most for his union members.
  • rick_chasey
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    @random man The professor was talking out of his ars*. Italian fascism was always a racist political creed which believed in the supremacy of the Aryan/Mediterranean race of man over other peoples, the refounding of the Roman Empire (the symbology of which provides the name of fascism - fasces). Mussolini was never as consistent in his anti-semitism as Hitler but as early as 1919 he was speaking out against Jewish capital and he was fully engaged in the concept of a racial hierarchy that had grown up following on from the ideas of several late 19th century thinkers. For Di Canio to engage in the theatrics of Fascism and overtly espouse the philosophy marks him out as a racist. What other political beliefs are inherent and unique to Fascism?

Getting your timelines mixed up. Italian fascists were never preoccupied with race. An alliance with the Nazis meant the Nazis had to fit their racial **** in with the alliance. Italy was ( and, relatively, still is) very homogeneous.

And being anti semitic was very common then. To give context, even the uk had quotas for refugees from Nazi rule on the premise that they didn't want too many Jews and they were pretty forward thinking with regard to that.

That doesn't mean the 21st Century Facsism in Italy isn't racist, but don't get the history wrong.

Racism was a bigger deal in the UK than it was in Italy principally because it wasn't homogeneous. The Nazis were famously upset with the italians for their inability to do any of their racial cleansing.
    Admittedly from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Fascism) but:
    "In a 1921 speech in Bologna, Mussolini stated that "Fascism was born... out of a profound, perennial need of this our Aryan and Mediterranean race".[38][39] In this speech Mussolini was referring to Italians as being the Mediterranean branch of the Aryan Race, Aryan in the meaning of people of an Indo-European language and culture.[40] Italian Fascism emphasized that race was bound by spiritual and cultural foundations, and identified a racial hierarchy based on spiritual and cultural factors."

Fascism = Theory of Racial Hierarchy. This is the defining feature of all Fascists. 1921 is very early

Hang on a minute. This is all a bit teleological.

Fascism believed in strong imperialism to halt national decay. That involved becoming a colonial power.

The entire premise of colonialism is that Europeans are superior than the rsst of the world. Since 1850 this was defined universally in racial terms, of which Britain was a leading light.

That's the context in which that speech is given. The aryan translation is a slightly mischievous one, because of its Nazi connotations.

Fascim is not necessarily pre occupied with ethnic cleansing. Nazism is.

Fascism is racist in the sense that colonialism is racist. An important distinction. Now, I can't comment on 21st Century Italian fascim since I don't know anything about it, but Mussolini was not preoccupied with race beyond typicsl national imperialist ideals.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    At least it will make Sunderland's last 7 games in the Premier League a bit more interesting :wink:

It'll be good to have some North East company in the championship next season.

Yours,
    A 'Boro supporter.

Also a boro supporter
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    he's a football manager- let him get on with it - protest when the season ticket comes with a flyer for brown shirts
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    And no one has mentioned the "football agent" or football club owner.

What's even more laughable these people are supposed to pass a fit and proper test.

I wonder if he sees himself as an immigrant worker in a foreign country? How do you reconcile that?

It's all driven by money and the soul has long disappeared. :(

In part it reminds me of Dubai.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ^^^ To be fair to Di Canio, I don't think that he has ever gone on record expressing racist views. He might have been an admirer of Mussolini but reject certain views and policies of his.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    seanorawe wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    At least it will make Sunderland's last 7 games in the Premier League a bit more interesting :wink:

Yours,
    A 'Boro supporter.

Also a boro supporter

Agreed, looking dodgy for the barcodes now :shock: :) :P
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Canny lad wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yours,
    A 'Boro supporter.

Also a boro supporter

Agreed, looking dodgy for the barcodes now :shock: :) :P

Is there still a way they can both go down? Can't decide who I hate more.

Another Broken and disillusioned Boro fan
  • Stevo_666
    Very much doubt both can down as Reading and QPR are pretty much guaranteed to be relegated and that only leaves one more drop spot. But never mind, at least we know that we're not the only shyte team in the North East :P

My Grandfather would be turning in his grave if he could see The 'Boro now, he used to play for them yonks ago and they were pretty good then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    As we're on the subject of fascism and footy, this might raise a dry smile for the 'Boro fans here (and Sunderland fans for that matter):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As we're on the subject of fascism and footy, this might raise a dry smile for the 'Boro fans here (and Sunderland fans for that matter):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E

LOL nice one :D