What's missing from my FSA headset?

stu76
stu76 Posts: 41
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an FSA number 10 zero stack headset in a GT frame. There's a bit of play in it and there's a gap between the spacers and headset compression ring of a mm or two. Is there something missing? If so can I get a replacement or do a DIY fix?

Thanks stu

8611440890_4f73c9fa1f.jpg
On one scandal
GT RTS 2
Planet x superlight

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Start with the simple, have you tightened it all up in the correct order? Stem loose, tighten top cap bolt, then tighten stem with the front wheel on the floor?
  • stu76
    Yeah all tightened in the correct order. Even with a lot of tension on the top cap and pushIng down on the stem there's still play.
    On one scandal
    GT RTS 2
    Planet x superlight
  • bennett_346
    Bearings may have had it or the forks might have play in the stanchions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crown race?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    I think we need more details. How long has it been like this? Did you take it apart and put it back together and it started doing it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is there a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stu76
    Thanks for all the replies.

It was like this when I got it (bought 2nd hand). I've dismantled and re-assembled but still the same. There is a 3-4 mm gap between the top of the steerer and the top spacer so that's not the issue.

I wondered if there was a something missing due to the gap and the spacers pushing on the silver compression ring, as I'd I needs something wider to press on the bearing cap instead?
    On one scandal
    GT RTS 2
    Planet x superlight
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The only pics i can find of an FSA no 10 are like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... 1d8daa3e69

Clearly not a zero-stack, and if yours is this one, then you're obviously missing the large conical upper section?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It would help if it was assembled correctly.

Wedge under the top cap if sealed bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect a different wedge has been used that isn't a perfect fit, if it's bodged anything could be wrong (like wrong or no crown race) so a full strip is needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stu76
    Thanks again everyone, I'll dismantle the whole thing next chance I get and see if I can identify the problem.
    There doesn't seem to be much info around on specific headsets, the FSA website has a generic integrated headset instructions with parts so I can use that for starters.

Cheers stu
    On one scandal
    GT RTS 2
    Planet x superlight