Multiple pains

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I figure these have been done before but it saves two posts....

Back Pain....
I've read in various places that the saddle should be atleast level. I checked mine and found it was a little down on the nose which might explain why i always felt i was too far forward and seemed to need to wriggle back a bit.
The problem is that after doing it i felt a pain in my lower back that i have never felt on the bike before. (I've done 50 on before without a problem but this hurt after only 15 miles)
Could leveling the seat really cause the pain? As i have a sportive (84m) at the weekend i'm wondering if i should reset it?

Foot pain.
For some reason i only seem to get foot pain on my right foot, About an inch back from the ball but on the out side of my foot...Any clues?

Many thanks

Comments

• Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    If you're doing a sportive then I definitely wouldn't change the position before it. Stick with what you're used to.

With regards to what could be causing your pain, rotating the saddle back could be the source. If you're a bit inflexible then your pelvis may be rotated back now as well, meaning that essentially your back will have to stretch more to keep your body in the same position. It's hard to say really, but if you can, I'd definitely recommend a bike fit. They should be able to tell you if your flexibility is causing you some issues, and is generally just a good thing to avoid further injuries and pains. But as I say, keep it with how you're comfy for the sportive, even if it means tilting your saddle slightly down at the nose.

As for the foot, it doesn't sound like anything I've heard before, usually it's pain on the ball itself. I'd check your cleats are at the same position on both shoes (if you use clip ins), if not then possibly ill fitting shoes? Are both feet the same size? Possibly pedalling stroke, but again this may be something that would be picked up in a bike fit, could be all related.

Also just cycling in the mirror/have someone video you if you have rollers or a turbo, it's amazing what you can pick up yourself. Or even get someone to take a picture of you sitting on your bike so you can see. Obviously not going to tell you a whole lot, but it's a start.