Chainstay protection roadbike .....

masa
masa Posts: 15
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hello,

Is it necessary to protect the bottom from the chainstay (drive side) against damage from the chain?

On the upper side there is, as usual, a clear sticker.

Comments

• Since my wife managed to take a chunk out of the lower side of the chainstay on her Trek Madone (either chain slap or a stone - not sure), I've applied helicopter tape to both her bike and mine - you'll find it on ebay. It's pretty good stuff and is pretty much invisible.
  • masa
    Ok, so it is recommended to protect both sides .....
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you are worried, just put some tape on it. Its barely noticable
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I have never used any kind of chainstay protectsion devise / tape and have never noticed any damage, paint chipping, or other problems. My personal opinion is that it's something created to cure a problem that doesn't exist.
  • masa
    Ok, tnx.

Are there more negative expierencies or did ''Pumpkin positive'' just had bad luck ..........

and is it not necessary to protect the bottom of the chainstay?
  • masa wrote:
    Ok, tnx.

Are there more negative expierencies or did ''Pumpkin positive'' just had bad luck ..........

and is it not necessary to protect the bottom of the chainstay?
    Yes I think it was mostly bad luck. It's never happened to me before and probably never again, but helicopter tape is cheap, easy to apply and is virtually invisible.

There are photos of the damage in this thread i started a few weeks ago - viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12908981

Since then it's been re-painted and helicopter tape applied to underside of chainstays and down tube.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think it partly depends on your gear range. I would not expect a compact on a small cage to be that slappy, where as something with a wider range might be more prone to it.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I've had chain-suck on several occasions, this can take chunks out of a chainstay. Helicopter tape stops damage from stones and chain-slap etc, but isn't tough enough if the chain drags around against the chain-stay. I use spiral cable wrap - belt and braces.
  • Lol, chain slap on a road bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Not your average conditions - but watching the end of this, I would think it would be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... QSpuhIQg1A