Where do you fill up?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Generally when I've done my longer rides (100Km or so) I either carry enough water to get around in one hit or plan the route to coincide with a cycle path cafe / food place (like the ones on the Tissington Trail)

However, this is limiting my choice somewhat, so what do people do about filling up the bidons on longer rides? I always worry about leaving the bike outside unattended if I need to go in a shop so have avoided this. (I know it's fine when you're in a group ride but I don't always have this luxury)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Streams, pubs, toilets (or the taps in them)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    If on a longer ride I tend to try and stop at a cafe for a hot drink (in the cold weather) & ask them to fill up my bottles with tap water.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    This time of year I wouldn't even finish 500ml on a 60 mile ride, but in the summer I could need up to two 750ml bottles on a 100 mile ride, can't really see how you need more than that unless you're poorly hydrated Pre ride.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    As above really, but if I do need to stop for emergency provisions I carry a small retractable cable lock in my seat pack. Wouldn't want to rely on it for any length of time but it's enough to prevent someone running off with my bike while I run into a shop for a minute
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Churches are a good place for topping up water....more so if they have a Graveyard. For the Flowers you see !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    At this time of the year 500ml/hour is about right, 750ml an hour in the summer minimum.

I normally ask the Cafe to fill up when I stop for a break or buy a litre bottle from a shop to fill both up.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    RDB66 wrote:
    Churches are a good place for topping up water....more so if they have a Graveyard. For the Flowers you see !!
    Yup. Always a reliable standby
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    RDB66 wrote:
    Yup. Always a reliable standby

I have to say that this never occurred to me. I guess a graveyard is just as good.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    The water in a fast flowing beck up in the Yorkshire dales is as good as any you'll find and certainly much tastier than the chlorinated concoction that comes out of our taps.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    petrol stations.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I find I need about 500ml and hour during a ride,regardless of heat. Probably too much but I'd rather it that way than not enough.

I try to plan a stop at cafe mid ride and get free tap water after a quick coffee.

And cake!
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    team47b wrote:
    petrol stations.

but don't you need to fill a minimum of 5 litres? :D