Much difference in specs?

grant86
grant86 Posts: 31
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=95400

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90399

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75520

I realise the last link is actually a ladies bike but it took me a while to notice it was, which made me realise it wouldn't bother me to ride it as long as the measurements were ok. If a 19" men's bike is ok to ride would a 19" women's be suitable?

Which of the 3 bikes have the best specs and which is best value for money?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Careful with frame 'shape' on a womens, it may well be shorter in the top tube than a mens (women having different proportions on average to men).

The Kona is much better, better fork, with damping and disc ready parts for a later upgrade, no brainer, plus Formula budget wheels are far from bad (willing to bet the 'alex' rims are actually made by formula as I've seen that before).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grant86
    grant86 Posts: 31
    Careful with frame 'shape' on a womens, it may well be shorter in the top tube than a mens (women having different proportions on average to men).

The Kona is much better, better fork, with damping and disc ready parts for a later upgrade, no brainer, plus Formula budget wheels are far from bad (willing to bet the 'alex' rims are actually made by formula as I've seen that before).

That was my favourite from the three but I went for a Scott Spect 10 2011 from ebay which the seller claims to have only ridden it for one hour so must be in immaculate condition. Got it for £350 although I have to arrange a courier and packaging costs which will bring it to around £400. Still a good price I reckon as this bike was £900 when it was released.

Frame: Aspect Alloy 6061 Double butted Performance geometry Integrated heaDTube
    Fork: Rock Shox Tora TK / Alloy Steerer Pop loc lockout / Rebound adjustable 100 mm travel
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore / FC-M590 / 34.9mm clamp
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT / RD-M772 SGS Shadow Type
    Number of Gears: 27
    Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M590 / Rapidfire plus 2 way release / with gear indicator
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M430-8, silver
    Chainrings: 44A x 32 × 22 T
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Cartridge 68mm shell
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50-9 / 11-32 T
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG53
    Pedals: Wellgo / C 128
    Front Brake: Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc with 160mm rotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc with 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M445 Disc
    Handlebars: Scott Aspect / Oversize 31.8mm / black 8 degrees bend / 20mm uprise / 640mm
    Stem: Scott Comp / JD-ST57 A
    Headset: Ritchey Logic OE integrated
    Rims: Alex XC-44 Disc 32H / White
    Front Hub: Scott Disc Comp CL
    Rear Hub: Shimano FH-RM 65-CL
    Spokes:15 G, stainless, black
    Front Tyre: Schwalbe Rocket Ron / 26 × 2.1 50EPI wire / Performance Series
    Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Rocket Ron / 26 × 2.1 50EPI wire / Performance Series
    Saddle: Scott Aspect
    Seatpost: Scott Comp, 31.6mm
    Weight: 12.04kg (26.49lbs) approx
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes better than any of those by a big margin, though a Tora shouldn't really be on a £900 bike when it can be had on bikes costing less than £600!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.