Downhill Insurance

yossarian_lives
yossarian_lives Posts: 14
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good policy that covers competitive downhill worldwide?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    British Cycling do insurance to cover downhill racers.
  • British Cycling do insurance to cover downhill racers.

from what i can see it doesnt cover medical expenses.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Are you an amateur or professional? i.e., do you get paid

You could always talk to Lloyd’s
  • Amateur, but i want to take part in races in Ireland and France, and im a bit freaked out by the potential medical bills.
    Just got a quote of £60 for single trips, or £220 for a year from 'Snowcard' though. Expensive, but C'est la vie..
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    £220 for a year seems really cheap to me, last time i was in france a single broken collar bone with several x rays and a cast cost over a thousand euros.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah that's pretty cheap, though apparently snowcard are pretty crap to deal with. I've gone with dogtag the last couple of years. Cost me about £50 single trip, apparently they're good when you need them as well, but touch wood I haven't had to yet.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeah that's pretty cheap, though apparently snowcard are pretty crap to deal with. I've gone with dogtag the last couple of years. Cost me about £50 single trip, apparently they're good when you need them as well, but touch wood I haven't had to yet.

I've always been on Snowcard and have no complaints with the service from them after I smashed my shoulder. Admittedly I wasn't air-lifted out, but I know a few people who have been airlifted out, or dragged down a mountain in one of them sliding coffin things or.....(I know some really clumsy people!), and again, Snowcard were very understanding given the cicumstances. However, they don't cover anything competitive (but did cover damn-near everything else I was dumb enough to do over the years!).

I am also very much prepared to accept that my experiences may be very different from that of other people!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Fair play, I may have been thinking of some other company. Either way, £200 isn't much to pay for peace of mind for a season's riding.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback, and good to know other people have used snowcard...

Hopefully i'll not need to use it, but if i do I'll let you know how it went
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Also take your European Health card - EHIC.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can't really review an insurance company unless you've used them tbh but snowcard have been good for me and they offer competition insurance. Dogtag look good on paper but they couldn't answer simple questions about their policies and inclusions, not encouraging
    Uncompromising extremist