2013 Shimano XT/XTR?

jameswilby5
jameswilby5 Posts: 23
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

I am about to upgrade the brakes on my 2010 Stumpjumer FSR Pro Carbon and am looking at the Shimano XTs or XTRs. I think I've decided on the XTs since the XTRs are very expensive and performance wise pretty similar. However could anyone confirm if Shimano has released a 2013 XT or XTR brake? If not do you think they will and if so when do Shimano usually update their range? At the moment am I correct in saying the latest is the M785 brake and lever with the RT81 Ice Technology Rotor.

Any help would be great!

James

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano don't change everything each year, no changes at XT or XTR I am aware of (at least none really publicised) so yes the M785/M985 are the latest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Ok so it looks like its a good time to buy the brakes. A bit off topic but could anyone make a rough comparison to the 2010 Elixir Cr's I currently have. I know they will be more powerful but how does it compare weight wise? I don't really want to spend money to add weight but am not bothered if the weight is pretty much the same.

Many thanks,

James Wilby
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The shimano's are heavier, do some searching for weights, the bike radar reviews give weights but are useless as they include the discs which can have a large weight variance.
    This link http://www.basquemtb.com/shimano-xt-m785-disc-brakes/ suggests the M785's are about 300g, my M765's are about 270g for the rear versus his 290 so his scales may weigh a 'bit heavy'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano generally work on a 4 year product cycle. XTR got updated in 2011, so I'd expect a new groupset in 2015, with XT a year behind.
  • Thanks for the replies. I've decided on the XT brakes and am about to order them :) The weight shouldn't be too bad especially considering the performance it will give me :D

Many thanks,

James
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    I've have both the 2010 elixars and the new XTR xc brakes, The only reason I bought XTR over XT is that the XTs as a complete kit didn't come with discs (Merlin) so if I bought XT discs as well I was just shy of the full XTR price at the time, but my god they are smooth, The XT's have the same stubby lever as the XTR's I believe so work best mounted on the outside of the shifters.I had my elixars mounted inboard of my shifters as they have a longer reach. Weight wise theres not much in it. Hopefully the kit includes the barbs you'll need when shortening your hoses, I didnt even need to bleed mine, cut them to length, hold the hose upright and tap in the barb then screw the hose back on, done.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play