Cables....Gore, other or save my money?

Santa cruzing
Santa cruzing Posts: 157
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
The old cables have taken a bit of a battering on the Genesis so time for a full replacement of gear and brake cables, inc outer.

Any one using a sealed system, and are they really worth the coin? How have they fared through the rain, road salt and muck of winter?

Cheers!
AKA Captain Blackbeard
Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Not tried the Gore ones. I tend to buy the normal inners/outers separately. Works out very cheap to change all cables, which I do about once every 12-18 months (on both bikes).
    exercise.png
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Only really need the gore ones if cable runs are tight, then they do make a big difference. Otherwise I'd stick with standard cables...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I love the Gore cables though I think that they are no longer being manufactured. Use them for gears on my MTB and they feel great and on the front disc on my Volagi road bike and the feel is vastly improved. Well worth the money to my mind
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm thinking of switching to I-Link (same idea as Nokon) but running the liners for the full cable length; makes it impossible for dirt to get in anywhere other than the ends (and the top end should be fine anyway). Anyone tried this?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I bought a set from here 3+ years ago, the outers were the wrong colour I wanted being white but I've lived with it and apart from adjusting the cables for block wear they have been maintenence free. Bought another set for the Kaffenback for the disc brakes and I should get the same excellent service from them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Gore no longer make cables, I'm not certain but I think they were unhappy with the quality, specifically the difficulty of installation compared to standard cables. It is probably not a priority for them but I would not be surprised to see them bring back cables in the future. They still license the tech to other companies such as Sram.

I usually use Shimano Stainless inners with whatever outers make the best colour match or say Campagnolo on then, but they are so easy to change and unlikely to break that I don't think it really matters much if you change them every year/6000 miles or if they feel draggy.

It was important on a mountain bike, less so for commuting, having a flat route and going fixed removed the issue for me.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I have the sealed Gore cables on one of my tourers and they are great but, as noted above, they are no longer made. On my two other bikes I have Transfil Mudlovers gear and brake cables. These are also sealed, cost less than Gore (by quite a bit) and, honestly, I can't tell the difference. One of the Transfil sets are four years old and gong strong.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Most importantly, what colour are the Transfil Mudlovers? Nowhere lists z colour, though they do look good.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Asprilla wrote:
    Most importantly, what colour are the Transfil Mudlovers? Nowhere lists z colour, though they do look good.
    Dark greyish
  • Cheers All, aware that gore don't make them any more but have seen some leftover stock about.

I'll take a look at the mudlovers and weigh that up against (almost) annual replacement of basic sets.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I'm thinking of putting something similar on the Kinesis. I need to run full length outers as it's disc braked. I'll have to find black outers so the Transfil are out. I think I'd need two sets to do front and rear. MRS did you mention somewhere that the Gore ones are incompressible? Any others that are black, incompressible and cheap with really long outers that work really well?
    I know I'm asking for too much. I think cheap will be the one that gives.