Cafe stop lock

forgotrafe
forgotrafe Posts: 637
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I've got one of the Abus retractable cable locks. Could probably cut through the cable with my teeth, but it's sort of an okay deterrent whilst I pop into cafe/shop. It's a few years old now, just wondered if anything better had come onto the market?

I've seen small cable locks but they don't seem any more resilient. Had one on the "shop" bike I keep at work, but the key got lost in our recent office move. Took me less than 10s with a pair of mole grips to remove the lock from the frame!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never used a lock for stops like these - I always stop out in the wilds and keep an eye on the bike.
  • forgotrafe
    I am usually in the wilds and rarely leave the bike, but one all-day route I've got coming up I've no choice but to get lunch in a Tesco so I won't be able to see the bike. I've done it before (with the retractable cable lock) but it's pretty scary.

The Abus folding locks look okay.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    forgotrafe wrote:
    I am usually in the wilds and rarely leave the bike, but one all-day route I've got coming up I've no choice but to get lunch in a Tesco so I won't be able to see the bike. I've done it before (with the retractable cable lock) but it's pretty scary.

The Abus folding locks look okay.

Unless you are crossing the Atacama desert, surely there are alternatives to Tesco!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use a small Kryptonite cord with a combination lock. It is quite light, coils up nicely for the back pocket and I don't have to faff with a key. I accept it is not really secure but the point is just to stop/slow down the opportunist thief whilst I have a wazz, etc. I hate to say it, but when parked outside a popular cafe stop I figure that I am increasing my odds because a thief will probably go for the easy target unlocked bike next to mine.
  • forgotrafe
    Rolf F wrote:
    Unless you are crossing the Atacama desert, surely there are alternatives to Tesco!

Haha, possibly. It's just I stick to the wee quiet back lanes for miles and miles so hardly see anything, but I do pass an out-of-town Tesco just at the right time. But fair point, maybe that's the better solution, do the usual of finding some village shop somewhere.

Have now seen how large the folding locks are - not an option!
  • Bobbinogs
    forgotrafe wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I use a small Kryptonite cord with a combination lock.

That might be a bit better, thanks.

This is the one.

As said, it ain't great and there are some web threads showing that this can be cracked fairly easily but there you go. I'm not taking a huge chuffing lock on rides and only want to buy enough time to have a wazz in peace :)

If you leave your bike in the biggest gear it should also slow a lot of thieves down as many don't know how to use shifters.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...I use one of those too...only downer is it comes with a preset combination that you cant change to something more memorable, .......I get round that by using my brain to memorise it ;-)
    ...that's a neat tip about leaving the bike in a high gear!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And you can also adjust the QR on your calipers to lock the wheels on if they're adjusted right. No defence against being carried off in a van mind you....
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Rolf F wrote:

Bloody hell, there's a Tesco in the Atacama desert?? They get everywhere! :lol:
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Thought I'd bump this up a bit... anyone know of a product that would do for this yet? I know a small piece of cable and a tiny padlock would be fine, but us cyclists are idiots and we like to spend money on unnecessarily overcomplicated stuff!

A really small, light lock that will fit in a back pocket or saddlebag to stop folk grabbing and running outside a cafe. I always put my bike within my line of sight at a window when I'm out so anyone with bolt cutters etc. would be spotted, just looking for something to stop kids (or naughty grownups) grabbing it and running off (I can't run after them very fast with cleats).
  • Bobbinogs
    err, I am still using my combo lock if that helps :wink:
  • I still have my asus combination cable lock but I changed my mind and bought one of the Asus folding locks (the "lite" one). It's a whopping 600g but with that comes substance meaning I could leave my bike outside shops on the bike ride I mentioned (170 miles, 1 day).
  • I use a Burton snowboard lock. Small, retractable cable, with a changeable combination lock. Not exactly secure, but a good visible deterrent if you're only on a quick wee stop or in and out of a shop.....Stops the opportunists at least.

http://www.snowlab.co.uk/burton-cable-s ... tAoddjMA_g