BMC grand tours

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2013 in Pro race
So Cuddles doing both Giro and Tour (which makes me think it's his final year)

TJVG says Cadel is leader for Tour and his goal for the season is California
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Cuddles' contract runs till end-next year, but I guess if he and BMC come to some sort of agreement...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Yes, I get the feeling this might be Evan's last year too. I hope he can at least go out with a bit of a bang and some pride intact. Podium finish and a stage win in a GT would probably do.

TJVG getting the brown end of the stick a bit there, maybe California is a big deal if you're American. Would expect that they might have it in their mind to keep TJVG as a back up at the Tour, so that if it becomes obvious Evans is not in contention then they can switch leaders, or at least free him to go for stage wins. Imagine he'd get the nod at the Vuelta at least, as I doubt Contador will ride it this year (he never has from choice).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    If that's genuinely Tejay's view (and I doubt it is), then he hasn't got the balls to lead a Tour team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    If that's genuinely Tejay's view (and I doubt it is), then he hasn't got the balls to lead a Tour team.

No. But an on-form Cadel is better than an on-form TJ.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    edited April 2013
    iainf72 wrote:

Anybody who's goal for the entire season is California needs to have a good look at themselves in the mirror.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

No. But an on-form Cadel is better than an on-form TJ.

Cadel's on form is only getting worse as he gets older, whereas TJ's on form is probably getting better. Possibly
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • TVG has got a chance of winning California, but hasn't got a hope in hell in the Tour. Personally, I'd prefer it if people stopped taking 5th in the Tour so seriously.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:

Anybody who's goal for the entire season is California needs to have a good look at themselves in the mirror.

California changes a man | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6z0Zay9itk

This imbroglio bears the hallmarks of a crisis in the BMC press office. How else are they going to attract some attention and media ROI?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    TVG has got a chance of winning California, but hasn't got a hope in hell in the Tour. Personally, I'd prefer it if people stopped taking 5th in the Tour so seriously.
    He came 5th in the Tour at the age of 23. Of course he should be focusing on the biggest races. Him focusing on California is like the best under 21 footballer signing for Barnsley.

(But as I have mentioned, I doubt this is his actual feelings. He gives the impression of being very ambitious)
  • Richmond Racer
    Have to agree with Rich's take. Tejay would love to be leader at the Tour - but right now he's not getting the option.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    TVG has got a chance of winning California, but hasn't got a hope in hell in the Tour. Personally, I'd prefer it if people stopped taking 5th in the Tour so seriously.
    He came 5th in the Tour at the age of 23. Of course he should be focusing on the biggest races. Him focusing on California is like the best under 21 footballer signing for Barnsley.

(But as I have mentioned, I doubt this is his actual feelings. He gives the impression of being very ambitious)

He should still aim for a good peak of form in California, try and win it and then see if he can take it up a notch for the Tour.

I guess the sponsors putting them under a bit of pressure atm to start winning asap.
  • RichN95.
    I guess the sponsors putting them under a bit of pressure atm to start winning asap.
    The sponsor and the man running the team are one and the same - Andy Rihs. The team is not a viable commercial venture for BMC, it's Rihs's own personal toy - funded out of his own pocket.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    The sponsor and the man running the team are one and the same - Andy Rihs. The team is not a viable commercial venture for BMC, it's Rihs's own personal toy - funded out of his own pocket.

Good job since they're expensive and sh!t
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Isn't Cuddles just going to ride the Giro for a bit of form building due to his lack of racing over the past few months?
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:

Good job since they're expensive and sh!t

Great strapline. Have you considered working in advertising?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Evans has cajones. TJ is good but soft. I really hope Evans has form to place or if he doesn't then form enough to get a superb stage win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    TJ had enough cajones to leave his team leader Cadel frustrated at the top of the Mur de Peguere in the tour last year when he punctured.

I reckon this will Cadels last season doing GTs with maybe a swansong year next year with a few one day races when TJ takes over full time. Cadel wasnt on form at the tour last year, and always seems to get a virus when his condition isnt good which I think is probably because he pushes himself a bit too much.

Cadel is probably my favourite rider over the past decade. In another era he would no doubt have a fair few more GTs to his name, and has done some amazing diesel rides such as the 2011 galibier and 2007 peyresourde.

He is pretty ungainly on the bike mind!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think we can safely say that TJ isn't seriously concetrating on California this year out of choice. He's probably been told that he will be the undisputed GC rider next year so is happy to play the team game this year; partly out of respect for Cadel and deference for the team.

Evans' form has dropped off pretty suddenly. 2011 he wins the Tour, 2012 he has an illness, and 2013 he's past it?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    looking at their squad its a shame they mismanage them so. Gilbert has done little except win the worlds (admittedly an awesome feat) and do a few silly breakaways (i fear he's completely incorrectly coached as well). Hushovd is past his best, and will occasionaly flicker before giving up...

As for cuddles, he is 36, and needs to understand that his best years are behind him, that tour win was epic, but at the same point his serious competitors included a creaking contador ( who had got his GT that year and was running out of steam) and the schleck brothers, who make coming 2nd an artform. Tommy V was never going to do well in the time trial...
    Fear for TJ, as whilst he has a tonne of talent, the disparate nature of the team means he probably won't get enough support. If cadel performs in the giro he'll get team lead for the tour, but what will he do, I reckon he'll crack and drop outside the top 10. the rest of that squad is either too old to make a consistent impact, too erratic, or Taylor Phinney.
  • Richmond Racer
    A bit of a moot point because Garmin cant afford him BUT I reckon Tejay would stand a better chance at the Betty Ford Clinic team of the ProTour
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Surely van Garderen should be riding the Giro or Vuelta as leader? I don't understand some of these teams that are so Tour centric and send their top young talent as domestique's year after year - it's illogical for rider development. By all means do it once or twice so they get a close up view of how it's done by a bona fide leader like Evans but then set them free in a race where they will likely be in genuine contention to win.

5th was a great result but it was on a time-trialists course. Anyone who thinks van Garderen has genuine victory credentials for this years Tour is deluded. The guy needs a genuine chance to develop leadership experience. Getting spat out the back when Froome, Contador and Nibali attack is not going to help.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    A bit of a moot point because Garmin cant afford him BUT I reckon Tejay would stand a better chance at the Betty Ford Clinic team of the ProTour

How do you think he would fit in with Ryder?

Could be interesting if he did move, but if Cadel does only ride this year as can't see him doing a year as a super dom or just to do some one day races as don't think he is that kind of a guy and might just cut his ties rather than carry on.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer

How do you think he would fit in with Ryder?

Could be interesting if he did move, but if Cadel does only ride this year as can't see him doing a year as a super dom or just to do some one day races as don't think he is that kind of a guy and might just cut his ties rather than carry on.

Yeah, sure, Ryder's the big dog at Garmin, GT-wise, though remains to be seen whether he's only got the one GT win in him). And JV's bringing on Talansky. I really meant from a support-perspective. Garmin do at least usually send decent climbers to the Tour/Giro to support the designated leader. BMC...not so much.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Yeah, sure, Ryder's the big dog at Garmin, GT-wise, though remains to be seen whether he's only got the one GT win in him). And JV's bringing on Talansky. I really meant from a support-perspective. Garmin do at least usually send decent climbers to the Tour/Giro to support the designated leader. BMC...not so much.

Agree they do see to support their riders in a 'friendly' way if you know what I mean.

Who knows what BMC are going to do next year? They still have some good riders, but when/if Cadel goes could make a massive difference to Tejay.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.