a little advice please

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Just wondering how you guys on here go about finding the puncture in a tube, when out on a ride.I have recently brought a new saddle bag which is quite a bit smaller than my old one, so have decided that maybe i should carry a repair kit, instead of tubes, i usually just replace the punctured tube and then repair it when i get home, by inflating the tube a bit and finding the hole. seeing as i carry a c02 inflator, im a bit concerned that im going to end up using up a whole canister just finding the hole, at the road side. Should i maybe carry a mini pump?? or do you guys have any tricks to find the offending hole/rip in the tube,as some can be very small. It may be a stupid question, but i just thought i would make use of the extensive knowledge on this forum.
thanks
Si

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    CO2 inflator is fine.

carry tube and repair kit. It should all fit or use your jersey pockets for extra bits.

I usually just throw away the old tube but I may begin repairing them at home. I would just replace the tube and either repair it on the spot if you can find the hole or do it once you get home.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    When trying to find the puncture - I lick my lips and part inflate the tube. You can feel the air escaping then.

I will freely admit you do look a complete berk while doing this, but it does work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I carry two spare tubes and some patches/repair kit. Depending where the hole is i will try and repair, but if its quite big or in a tricky position (like around the base of the inflator) then i just bin the tube and take out a new one.

In my experience, repaired inner tubes are never the same again, they are compromised so i just throw em and fit new ones. They arent exactly expensive.
  • tubes stuffed in jersey pockets it is then, thanks for that.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    In my experience, repaired inner tubes are never the same again, they are compromised so i just throw em and fit new ones. They arent exactly expensive.

In what way are they never the same again? I repair all mine unless they explode or fail at the valve and they never seem in anyway compromised to me!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Just wondering how you guys on here go about finding the puncture in a tube, when out on a ride.I have recently brought a new saddle bag which is quite a bit smaller than my old one, so have decided that maybe i should carry a repair kit, instead of tubes, i usually just replace the punctured tube and then repair it when i get home, by inflating the tube a bit and finding the hole. seeing as i carry a c02 inflator, im a bit concerned that im going to end up using up a whole canister just finding the hole, at the road side. Should i maybe carry a mini pump?? or do you guys have any tricks to find the offending hole/rip in the tube,as some can be very small. It may be a stupid question, but i just thought i would make use of the extensive knowledge on this forum.
    thanks
    Si

you should always carry patches (regardless of how many tubes you take - I mean stick ons take zero room/weight) &
    Never ever just rely on just co2. I have learnt that lesson. In this weather, just change the tube in the first instance and fix at home in the warm, the fixed tube then becoming your spare.
  • When trying to find the puncture - I lick my lips and part inflate the tube. You can feel the air escaping then.

I will freely admit you do look a complete berk while doing this, but it does work.
    +1
    when you get home run the tube though a bucket of water this will locate the puncture!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    bit of washing up liquid on a damp cloth rubbed onto the tube - watch for the bubbles, or listen for the hiss.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Main obvious part has been covered, best to replace and repair at home. Biggest and often most missed part is, check the tyre for whatever caused the puncture in the first place!! People forget that the sharp object could still be lodged inside the tyre and no amount of replacing or repatching is going to sort out.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Don't forget to line up the logo on the tyre with the valve. That way, once the tyre is off and the tube out, if you can find a flint or piece of glass in the tyre carcass, you can work out roughly where the puncture will be in the tube.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Rolf F wrote:
    In what way are they never the same again? I repair all mine unless they explode or fail at the valve and they never seem in anyway compromised to me!

Absolutely!

I recall in my club the record was 16 patches on one tube (admittedly somewhat excessive) and this finally was thrown away when a patch on a patch would have been required.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan