Scott Speedster 20 Sizing Woes

nathanjfox
nathanjfox Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone!

My cycle to work scheme opened up yesterday and so I am about to join the world of cycling! I am new to it all and have wittled down my online search to a Scott Speedster 20 compact 2013 model, which I love the look of and my cycling scheme will allow me to get.

Please don't ask why I can't try as my cycle to work scheme is not very good but I can't go test ride the bike and none of my local dealers seem to have the Speedster 20 for me to try.

I'm torn between the 54 or the 56 frame size based on my measurements of 5'11" and 31" inside leg. One frame size is good for my height, one is good for my leg measurements.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight into which would be best if I must compromise? Go up or go down? I appreciate it would be best to go try it but I don't have that luxury!

Many thanks in advance.

Nathan

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Congrats on the bike, Its a great bike I got the 2012 model, never looked back. Does the 2013 come with 105?

Sizing, well I am 5'6 and went for the XS but that was mainly because there were no S in stock and I really wanted the bike. I would normally have gone for a S, so I would think you would go for the 54?

No chance to try out I guess?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Many thanks for your reply.

It does indeed come with 105!

I was thinking more 54 as I've heard the standover height it important and the L/56 is 31.6" therefore I could cause some damage surely!?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    nathanjfox wrote:
    Many thanks for your reply.

It does indeed come with 105!

I was thinking more 54 as I've heard the standover height it important and the L/56 is 31.6" therefore I could cause some damage surely!?

Standover is not a massive issue, its not really a good measure for road bikes from what I have read. If the 56 is going to be touching the crown jewels then that most likely is too big but really you need to be in a riding position to really know.

54 sounds about right. If its not totally correct you can return if you really have to, I think most places will have 30 day to return you just need to make sure not to ride it outside or damage it.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    where are you, i'd be amazed if your local scott dealer didn't have any speedsters.
  • where are you, i'd be amazed if your local scott dealer didn't have any speedsters.

Hi!

Many thanks. I'm in Guildford, Surrey -> evans stock them but none of the branches seem to have them.

I agree that order and return if no good may be an option! Good job we've got a large office that I can cycle around at the weekend!
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    FWIW I'm 5' 9" and same inseam as you and my Scott CR1 is a 56. The geometry may be a bit more aggressive on the Speedster, I'm not 100% sure. I can't standover my bike on flat feet but it doesn't make any real difference. I was put on a 56 after a bike fit and it's fine for me but Grill is more your height and rides a smaller frame than me.

Over to you Grill, what do you reckon.......?

I think you need to sit on one personally.
  • Can I ask why you want the Speedster and not a bike that is stocked at a LBS. Not having a go, I'm considering buying the Speedster 20 myself, just wondered why you have to have that bike in particular :) Personally I'd want to try a bike before I buy it, but like you say you can always send it back.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Def a 54 - one thing you may not have considered is that as you get into it you might want to ride with a greater saddle to handlebar drop (my bars are about 6" lower than the saddle) and a smaller frame will allow you to do this. I'm about the same height as you but have a longer inside leg (34") and I use frames from 51 to 56. However,more important than frame 'size' is top tube length so make sure you are not too cramped or stretched out.
  • Thank you everyone for their replies!

I took a trip to Evans today and test rode a Norco Valence a1 in a 54cm frame and it felt cramped.

In comparison I got on really well with the Pinnacle Dolomite 5 at Evans in a 56cm but as this seems to only be avaliable through Evans I can't find any siZings to compare to the geometry info on the Scott website.

Anyone able to give me a hand please!? Getting frustrated with my employer c2w scheme! What's the point in not being able to try the bikes!?

P.S. my scheme don't do the dolomite as it seems to be Evans only!

Thank you guys!!

N
  • cerv52
    cerv52 Posts: 81
    Pinnacle is Evans own brand which is why you cant find it anywhere else.

I have a 2012 Speedster 30 in a 54" and I'm 5'9" with inside leg 29", fits me well and is comfy to ride. Now use it as my winter bike but still a good ride.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    54 all day long. I'm 5'11" w/ a 32.5" inside leg and ride Scott bike is 54. Standover is arbitrary, but with frame sizing if you're between sizes ALWAYS go for the smaller frame. There's nothing wrong with a longer stem, but you'll find handling suffers with a shorter one as will you're positioning if you're jammed all the way to the front of an inline post.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hi

What did you go for in the end please? I'm in the same situation - cycle 2 work scheme, so no possibility to try locally. There is a local dealer but I don't want to impose on them as they wont get the business and they must get pretty annoyed being undercut by the internet!

I am the same size (5'11"/32" leg) and also ordering the Speedster 20 so I would be interested to know what the OP chose in the end and if it worked out?

Thanks
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I have the Scott Speedster 30, it's a L frame - I believe that is 56". I'm 5'11.5" with 32" legs and the frame is good, seat post nearly on max. I would feel really cramped on the smaller frame. I've flipped the stem and got a 100mm 8 degree which makes the reach perfect for me.
  • Sprool wrote:
    I have the Scott Speedster 30, it's a L frame - I believe that is 56". I'm 5'11.5" with 32" legs and the frame is good, seat post nearly on max. I would feel really cramped on the smaller frame. I've flipped the stem and got a 100mm 8 degree which makes the reach perfect for me.

Perfect. Thanks Sprool - 56 (L) it is! Can't wait.