Can I use my seatpost back to front?

Gwaredd
Gwaredd Posts: 251
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I say mine, but it's my wife's bike. Picked up a lovely little Kona for her, but the cockpit is a bit too long & is hurting her neck. I've ordered a 60mm 30 deg stem to bring her closer & more upright (current stem is 110mm 6 deg) but have also noticed that the Easton EA50 seatpost kicks the seat rearwards too.

Before I buy a new in-line post, I was wondering if I could simply spin it around the other way, so the kick is facing forwards instead?

Is this a big no-no?

Easton-EA50_Seatpost.jpg

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Possibly, but it depends on whether you can get the saddle at the right angle with the post reversed. Only one way to find out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may be OK, it may not, some designs you won't get the saddle level due to the layback angle of the seat tube (you can see in that pic you posted how it's catered for)....

Buy and inline post and sell the setback would be my advice - or get a frame the right size!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gwaredd
    Frame fits her perfectly, especially legs - just need to tweak the cockpit with said components to get it just right.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Don't do it, it'll look stupid.
  • Gwaredd
    styxd wrote:
    Don't do it, it'll look stupid.

You're right. I just fitted it & my OCD went mental :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Gwaredd wrote:
    Frame fits her perfectly, especially legs - just need to tweak the cockpit with said components to get it just right.
    Eh, you get the frame size to suite the reach (which is clearly too long for hers) as that can only be tweaked by a max of about 90mm, the massive adjustment on the seatpost (circa 300mm adjustment) takes care of the legs!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gwaredd
    Eh, you get the frame size to suite the reach (which is clearly too long for hers) as that can only be tweaked by a max of about 90mm, the massive adjustment on the seatpost (circa 300mm adjustment) takes care of the legs!

The reach is only marginally too long for her with a 110mm stem & setback seat post, so is clearly within adjustable tolerance (small frame btw) You put the seatpost up 300mm to make you legs fit a frame, chances are your ass will be pointing to the sky & you'll be in a TDF racer pose :lol:

I'll agree that you buy a frame size that fits all, then tweak it via stem etc depending on the shape of your body. I'm 6'3" but ride a medium framed Trek EX9 as I found the cockpit on a large waaaay to long for my body. I use a high rise stem & bars & it's the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I'd fit the new stem first and see how she goes. I think you'll struggle to get the seat to the correct angle with the post back to front.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    An inline will grab 20-25mm, and you have 15-20mm adjust by sliding the saddle anyway.