wedding speech

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
Hi folks i need your help.
My son is getting married in two weeks and i will be making a speech, so does anyone know of any online sites that offer speech templates.
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Youtube, hundreds on there. As a father though I wouldn't worry unduly, it's the best man everyone wants to hear. You just need to thank everyone for coming, thank people for their efforts, thank the bride for taking him off your hands, tell her how beautiful she is, and spin a few dits about him as a child (preferably with a few photos to help him squirm a bit)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I wouldn't bother with the online templates, unless you're going to SIGNIFICANTLY personalise it. You'll stand out a mile as the bloke who copied something from the 'net rather than took the time to write something from the heart.

Stick to 'your' style - don't try to be funny if you're not. I'm getting married later this year, and I would much rather (if forced to choose) have crap speeches in keeping with who's giving them rather than something polished but obviously taken from a template.
  • Keep it original and not copied from the internet
    Include a few nice original and heart-warming/amusing jokes
    Enlarged and embarrasing photos of your son as a baby go down a treat
    Keep it under 5 minutes, 10 at a push.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    As said before dont just copy something of the internet. I would say aim for 3 minutes and go to 5 if there is more you want to say, read it through to someone else and time it. When i do presentations/speeches i write down headings and flesh out each section.
    Sincerity is much better than jokes that may offend or embaress people. Keep the wording simple and to the point.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    The thought of a speech for my sons wedding terrified me (i'm a quiet person really), but jot some stuff down, get some basic ideas off youtube etc...just the basic layout, add a few personalised bit, the usual thanks to everyone etc etc. Build it up, scratch some stuff as you go...it'll be fine.
    Despite my loathing of public speaking, mine went brilliantly in the end, thoroughly enjoyed it. Its just doing the legwork, and don't worry about having it on paper to refer to on the day, no-one cares and it helped me to keep it all flowing.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Keep it original and not copied from the internet
    Include a few nice original and heart-warming/amusing jokes
    Enlarged and embarrasing photos of your son as a baby go down a treat
    Keep it under 5 minutes, 10 at a push.