Glasses steaming help!!!

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Alright lads can anybody help me I had some cheap cycling glasses that used to steam up terrible I do sweat alot in a sweaty person so I thought I'd buy some decent glasses I ended up going for some oakley jawbone with vented lenses I hoped that would sort it but they still steam up bad when I come to a stop or go slow just when I don't need it coming up to junctions and things how on earth do u stop the buggers steaming up????????

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Put rainX on them to stop the steaming up
  • On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Whufcrule
    Whufcrule Posts: 131
    I bought some muc off stuff and it was shit it just made the lenses go like it was raining all swimmy it was weird
  • You are not going to find much that will fix this really well, I used to have lots of problems with this but found the best solution was to try new ones until I find something which fit my face well.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Try a bit of neat washing up liquid on your finger and rub it into the lenses. Then wipe off with a dry cloth
    (old motorcycle helmet trick)
    Or spit, like scuba divers do, into their goggles. Seems to work for them, and I reckon they have fewer vents than the Oakleys
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Whufcrule wrote:
    I bought some muc off stuff and it was shoot it just made the lenses go like it was raining all swimmy it was weird

I bought the muc off stuff and its great.
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    is it really a big problem - it clears within about 5 pedal strokes? Just bend your head down and look over the top of them until they clear
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I've pretty much stopped wearing glasses unless it is a fine hot sunny day as misting up seems to happen a lot. I have tried lots of different solutions which all help to some small degree but fail to prevent it.

I looked at that RainX stuff and the anti fog version (there are about 4 different types) does seem to hit the mark but it clearly says "don't use on plastics" on the blurb. So, no point wearing safety glasses and then using some stuff that will cause them damage since that would make them unreliable, possibly.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Stupid question - are you getting too hot while riding? Could you wear less layers (if you're wearing layers!).

My glasses steam up worst on stopping if I'm overheating...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jawbones are more prone to this than the Radars or M Frames. Its the frame at the bottom I think that stops the air from circulating too well.
  • Go to an Opticians for around a fiver you will get a bottle of anti mist. Spray on and wipe off. Mist free glasses for a day or two. Works a treat. Labels worn off my bottle so can't read the brand name. I use it all the time.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    In order to have glasses that don't steam up easily it's best to find a pair that sits slightly away from your face so the air passes through. Usually the type with no rim on the bottom or rimless work best but some have vents or a good design to allow better airflow. Hard to recommend one brand as it will not work the same for everyone. Just try a few pairs on and if it rests against your brow or on the skin below the eye it will probably fog easily.
  • ive got to agree with Andy i put abit of washing up liquid on mine before a ride and wipe off with a dry cloth and have no issuses with steaming up.