When do Aldi cycling offers next resurface?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
They usually have a Spring promotion - is it due any time soon?

There are a couple of things I could do with buying - including their excellent socks!

Comments

• Keep checking the aldi web page , it's coming soon. look at the offers for the following Thursday & be aware.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,937
    A google suggests it was the 10th March, in which case, it will not be until the Autumn?

Unfortunately our new Aldi did not open until March 21st :?

Lidl had one just the other week.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    really wish Aldi would do their winter bibs again - I've holed mine in a couple of places after falling off twice this winter (they were pretty worn out anyway). I know that as soon as I buy a proper, more expensive pair from elsewhere the weather will suddenly warm up and I won't need them for months. I thought the Aldi ones were cracking value for £15.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Aldi haven't had one this year yet,we go every week and not seen any offers.Must be seen though.

I know Lidl have recently had one about two weeks ago.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • rodgers73
    Ironically, I just threw away my most recently purchased pair of Aldi tights due to them being uncomfortable. I'm hanging on for the socks though...
  • Davdandy
    Just got a leaflet today and on the back it says that the cycling week will commence on the 2nd may.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    yup started today i went first thing...with all the other cyclists got a whole load of stuff
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • rodgers73
    I didn't bother in the end. The socks have changed design enough to make me not like them, the shoes don't go up to 11 and I found an old rucksack that works just fine leaving the planned new one pointless.
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    well i ended up buying the padded shorts jacket gloves helmet rucksack and 2 pairs of sunglasses...might gi back today for more
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    got the soft shell.

obviously, if it falls to bits in the next month* I'll not be too impressed, but at first wear, all I can say is

ONLY £16!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

amazing!

*anecdotal evidence in these threads suggest the opposite - it will survive Armageddon
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Anyone in London seen any of the basic jerseys, not the premium ones? Neither finchley nor kilburn had any....
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Just rested their gloves and skull cap after their third winter, still in good condition so I'll be pulling them out again next winter. Highly recommended, you could easily pay twice as much for the same product with more expensive branding.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • 7th July apparently.This is the only info I have so far.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/c ... ming-soon/

But- buy a copy of the Daily Mirror or Record tomorrow- there is a £5 off £40 spend voucher which will be valid still on the 7th July still!
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • Davdandy
    Anyone used their cycle computers?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    7th July apparently.This is the only info I have so far.

But- buy a copy of the Daily Mirror or Record tomorrow- there is a £5 off £40 spend voucher which will be valid still on the 7th July still!

Thanks for that!
    Not much on there but I guess their next big sale will be in the autumn.

I've been thinking about a car carrier and work stand as it happens.

Does anyone know if the Aldi workstand is ok for clamping by the seatpost? As the picture has a bike clamped by the toptube but you aren't supposed to do that with carbon frames.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    But- buy a copy of the Daily Mirror

eww.... I think I'd rather pay the extra !!!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • markhewitt1978
    7th July apparently.This is the only info I have so far.

It says only valid until 4th July.
  • I seem to remember that, for the last cycling specials they did, they didn't show everything they had until not long before they got the stock in so that link probably doesn't include everything
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Davdandy wrote:

Yeah, They are rubbish. They work ok for a week or so and then they start going mental.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The July one is normally just a few bits. The big cycle sales are first week of May and first week of November. The stuf isn't as good as it used to be. I sent the Mrs this year and I had to take back all the stuff she bought for me.

I've progressed on to decathlon now. I'm so posh.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    prawny wrote:
    The July one is normally just a few bits. The big cycle sales are first week of May and first week of November. The stuf isn't as good as it used to be. I sent the Mrs this year and I had to take back all the stuff she bought for me.

:D:D

Do they do workstands?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    rubertoe wrote:
    prawny wrote:

:D:D

Do they do workstands?

They do indeed - was in there last night and saw some on display.

Aldi stuff does seem to have got worse, although maybe I just have enough nicer stuff now to not need it. My softshell from 4 or 5 years back is still going (just) though - the recent versions just haven't looked as good. Maybe that tells you something.

I still think the mitts are excellent though!
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    Davdandy wrote:

Yes - OK for a commuting bike
    I've had a few & they've lasted about a year in each case which was fine for me especially if you don't want to
    risk losing a more expensive computer when you leave bike outside somehwere & forget to remove computer.

I've also had computers of various brands broken after coming loose due to vibration on rough surfaces.
    I bought 3 last time & just replace the sender / computer depending on what breaks first.

I found they didn't work so well if you have a front light on intermittment flash
    (that might have been the fault of the light TBH)
  • Davdandy wrote:
    Only one from 3 years or so ago. £5, More functions than you can shake a stick at, small and basically perfect. I know this because every time they've had an offer on with bike computers since they've been the size of a brick with less functions..

I'd have to disagree with the getting worse quality thing above - it varies by the product. Cycle computers got worse. Gloves, better, track pump better.. latest 'casual cycling shorts' were an absolute result
  • markhewitt1978
    . latest 'casual cycling shorts' were an absolute result

I went to Aldi in May to get some of these but they didn't have any! Plenty of everything else, as it was only 5 minutes after opening, but no 'casual cycling shorts'.
  • rodgers73
    Wireless ones are rubbish if you're using flashing LEDs. I switched to a wired one ages ago - less neat and tidy but it works fine regardless of the lighting that's going on around it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Wireless ones are rubbish if you're using flashing LEDs. I switched to a wired one ages ago - less neat and tidy but it works fine regardless of the lighting that's going on around it.

Depends on the light. The alloy bodied Raleigh RSP lights I now use didn't interfere with the wireless Lidl and VDO computers I used to use. Plastic bodies Smarts were a non starter.

Incidentally, fwiw, the Lidl computer cost about £10 and the VDO about £30. The Lidl one was better designed (aside from separate buttons that occasionally jammed if grit got in), had more functions and lasted longer though the instructions were almost impenetrable. The VDO had a better case but was prone to condensation, a faint display, poor software design and the mount failed. Draw whatever conclusions you like!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rodgers73
    The wired one I use is a VDO and cost me £13. Still going fine after 2 years!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Does anyone know if the Aldi workstand is ok for clamping by the seatpost? As the picture has a bike clamped by the toptube but you aren't supposed to do that with carbon frames.

If it's anything like the LIdl one, avoid. Hugely heavy, awkward clamping mechanism (that broke on mine) and difficult bolt tightening made using it a total pain in the arse. I pad £50 for one of those lightweight aluminium ones from Ribble and never looked back. Way, way better.
  • rodgers73
    Sorry to be the awkward one in this thread but I use the Lidl one on my aluminium framed bike and its pretty good. Not brilliant but for the money its acceptable. It clamps along the top tube though so probably not great for carbon bikes.