handle bars and seat level

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
do most over 50s have there road bike handle bars and seat level for comfort, or do they have bars a lot lower then seat, which might make back hurt.?

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Rule #44
    // Position matters.

In order to find the V-Locus, a rider’s handlebars on their road bike must always be lower than their saddle. The only exception to this is if you’re revolutionizing the sport, in which case you must also be prepared to break the World Hour Record. The minimum allowable tolerance is 4cm; there is no maximum, but people may berate you if they feel you have them too low.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I don't know why people always think that low bars introduce back pain. The higher the bars, all of your upper body weight is pushing down on your back. With bars lower the weight is more evenly distributed.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I'm fairly flexible for my age but I do have my bars a lot lower than my saddle and it hasn't caused me any discomfort at all. Unless you are really inflexible, I don't think it should be a problem.

I suspect Declan is probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if having the bars too high would make your back hurt more not less.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I'll be 54 next week. As above I like having handlebars low finding that more comfortable and easier on the back.
    Martin S. Newbury RC