Foot touching while turning

JoshJ1
JoshJ1 Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Hey guys,

Am looking at buying the following bike & turning in into a hybrid w. some road tyers, etc:

http://goo.gl/mPqI4

I read a couple of review regarding peoples feet touching the front wheel whilst turning. Does this tend to be a common problem with mountain bikes? Is there an easy/inexpensive modification that can be made to rectify this if I buy the bike and the problem occurs?

many thanks,
J

Ps, I do have quite big feet - size 11!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    18kg? That should build up some muscle if nothing else.
    You feet will touch the front wheel on most bikes if your feet are in the wrong place when you turn the bars. I'd say that's due to the (lack of) experience of the riders, rather than the bike.
    Saying that I wouldn't buy it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    JoshJ1 wrote:
    Is there an easy/inexpensive modification that can be made to rectify this if I buy the bike and the problem occurs?

No unfortunately. It is known as 'toe overlap', but to be honest isn't usually that much of a problem. Despite the front wheel on a bike turning by more than 90 degrees, when you are moving it doesn't really turn that much. The only time it is an issue is during very slow speed/tight manoeuvring such as trail switchbacks. You are unlikely to be doing much mountain biking on that beast (at least I hope not - for your sake). The way round it is to make sure your feet aren't 'level' (pedals at 9 and 3) while manoeuvring slowly. It is an issue on my road bike and you very quickly learn to overcome it.

Having said that - as cooldad said I wouldn't touch that for anything more than a pub hack/rat bike that you cant be bothered to carry a lock for...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats impressive. Your getting a lot of metal for your money there. Almost worth it for the scrap value alone.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some people appear to have missed the word BOXED before weight (yes I know it's well hidden being in pale black font on dark white background), the actual bike is almost certainly sub 15Kg as the boxes are pretty heavy.

It's not a good bike, but for £90 it's reasonable I guess, but no mountain bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well spotted. And you could always sell the box.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd sell Sand to the Saudi's mate!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JoshJ1
    JoshJ1 Posts: 9
    Cheers for the advise guys!