Triban 5A first ride (pics added)

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
After a year on a MTB (with road tyres) I took the plunge & got a B'TWIN Triban 5A (black as it will be known by apparently) on Saturday.

Please bear in mind though that this is also my first ride (since a kid) on a road bike too.

Anyhow, I have to say I'm delighted with the bike, I've read all the hype surrounding the value for money regarding the Decathlon bikes- but even still, it's exceeded my expectations. For a little over £400 it's unrivalled IMO. It looks smart to boot too. It rides smooth & it feels stable, the brakes are far better than I expected (coming from hydraulic discs). The gears are indexed perfectly & click into position smoothly & with a confident positivity. I'm no road bike expert & so this is just my honest & genuine observation. :wink:

Great buy!!!
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Wait two weeks. You won't be happy with it then ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:

Only time will tell. :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • ozzrahog
    ozzrahog Posts: 3
    Please to hear this, I'm waiting for my T5A to be delivered, also moving from an MTB
  • ozzrahog wrote:
    Please to hear this, I'm waiting for my T5A to be delivered, also moving from an MTB

You'll not be disappointed. It's like a feather compared to my Ridgeback MX6!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    declan1 wrote:
    What do you mean? Did you have a Triban? Or you just like to let off wind?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Hi ♠ChumBucket♠
    I have just got my first road bike last Thursday, same week as you. The first Triban 7 and I have been riding it every day and love it. Still getting use to the brakes just not like disc brakes I have to agree but they stop really good. I have seen an article saying that they are rubbish once the first rain is encountered so I will be keeping an eye on them. I really am enjoying my rides more than ever now. Enjoy yours too.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • declan1
    whitestar1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

I'm just saying after two weeks he'll be looking for his first upgrade ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Ron Bones
    Ron Bones Posts: 23
    I just got a second hand Triban 3 and I'm dead chuffed with it! I'm sure it will only be a stepping stone to better things but for a start the decathlon bikes seem really good. I did hours of research before buying and you'd be hard pressed to find any negativity about the Triban's or Decathlon bike son the whole.
  • declan1 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

two options on reply here - first assumes a dig at decathlon bikes so....

and how long did it take for you, on a VIKING ffs, to start thinking upgrades? i bet the ink on your cheque wasnt even dry, in fact id be gutted knowing that there are decathlon bikes in the same price bracket yet i still chose a viking - one rung up the ladder from a bso!

2nd reply option assumes 'new to road bikes, its addictive isnt it?'...in which case - too right!

confession time here - i picked up the T7A and immeadiately got them to put mu aksiums on it
    rides superbly, no regrets, only want to upgrade the bars to sometihng like the bontrager aero 1 or whatever they are called - ones with flat aero shape bars, nice and comfy on the hands
  • declan1
    declan1 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

and how long did it take for you, on a VIKING ffs, to start thinking upgrades? i bet the ink on your cheque wasnt even dry, in fact id be gutted knowing that there are decathlon bikes in the same price bracket yet i still chose a viking - one rung up the ladder from a bso!

2nd reply option assumes 'new to road bikes, its addictive isnt it?'...in which case - too right!

confession time here - i picked up the T7A and immeadiately got them to put mu aksiums on it
    rides superbly, no regrets, only want to upgrade the bars to sometihng like the bontrager aero 1 or whatever they are called - ones with flat aero shape bars, nice and comfy on the hands

Oh FFS. Why is everyone these days so bloody serious all the time? I WAS JOKING.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I got it....
  • First upgrade ordered- a shorter stem!! :lol::lol:

Got the fit just about right now but to be "right" I need just a slightly shorter reach. I'm "just" in the size bracket for a 54 but the 51 (next size down) is seriously small. So, I anticipate once fitted I'll have it cracked! :D

I'm still amazed just how smooth & accurate the gears are- given they are the lower end of shimano's range.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • edit: wrong thread!
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Pics ?
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    First upgrade ordered- a shorter stem!! :lol::lol:

Got the fit just about right now but to be "right" I need just a slightly shorter reach. I'm "just" in the size bracket for a 54 but the 51 (next size down) is seriously small. So, I anticipate once fitted I'll have it cracked! :D

I'm still amazed just how smooth & accurate the gears are- given they are the lower end of shimano's range.

Vindicated I'd say!
  • 70mm stem fitted today & seat moved back slightly. Much better riding position for me. I can feel the steering is more "responsive" if I encourage the issue, but to be honest it hasn't made any dramatic difference at all. Did 22 miles after work & all seems ok.

I'll see how I go over the next few weeks with any minor tweaks here & there. :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • alal123
    alal123 Posts: 9
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Oh FFS. Why is everyone these days so bloody serious all the time? I WAS JOKING.

...well funny you.

got one myself this week, cant wait to get him out this weekend, hopefully wont want to upgrade in a couple of weeks.

Have you had any problems with the shop installation? or do the gears etc all seem to be set up fine?
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Been with my mate today to Decathlon and he picked up the last 5 Black in the shop .... Selling extremely well.
    For £429.00 he can't go wrong, decent spec for his first road bike and nice colour scheme (black with blue ... Team Sky influence?). They even fit lights on the bloody thing in with the cost!

Bargain :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Here's a few pics with the 70mm Deda stem on.

bike11_zps026a577d.jpg

bike14_zpsa1e0b2e6.jpg

bike13_zps58d72b57.jpg

bike12_zps3c8aaa9d.jpg
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • actually looks like a really nice bike, just change those pedals for clipless. How does it ride
  • jakemiller wrote:
    actually looks like a really nice bike, just change those pedals for clipless. How does it ride

Great, I have no complaints- although I have no other road bike to compare it with, but everything is smooth, quiet & works just as it should. :wink:

I AM surprised at how light it is, given it's price especially.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I had a look at them the other day when I was in Decathlon. They look really smart. I hope you enjoy your bike
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    How are you getting on with the shorter stem? and where did you buy it?
    I think I may need one on my Boardman, as I'm thinking the reach is just slightly too much for me, but I couldn't get a smaller frame.
  • macro_man
    macro_man Posts: 1
    this is a very good bike for the price.
    got mine yesterday and i am really chuffed with it. i have zero road bike experience and my last bike was a cheap heavy MTB!!!

the T5A is fast.... and its off the mark quick... love it.

already thinking of upgrades..... first up will have to be the saddle! maybe something with gel inserts around the 50 squid mark. suggestions?
    i have used it 3 times and my bums already hurting! the person at the shop set my seat pos. using ' the heel' method. perhaps its not right. :shock:

sharif
  • macro_man wrote:
    this is a very good bike for the price.
    got mine yesterday and i am really chuffed with it. i have zero road bike experience and my last bike was a cheap heavy MTB!!!

the T5A is fast.... and its off the mark quick... love it.

already thinking of upgrades..... first up will have to be the saddle! maybe something with gel inserts around the 50 squid mark. suggestions?
    i have used it 3 times and my bums already hurting! the person at the shop set my seat pos. using ' the heel' method. perhaps its not right. :shock:

sharif

The standard saddle is brutal!!!!!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Cracking looking bike. What equipment does is come with (groupset etc)?