Getting a stem true.

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited April 2013 in MTB general
This may be daft but since I have gone short on a stem. I can not for the life of me get it bang on. Its either very slightly left or right. Longer stems are easy. Where am I going wrong?

Regards leon

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not trying harder!
  • Put a straight edge across the fork yoke or stanchions, use this as a visual cue when aligning the bars.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Fork Yoke? Whats one of them?? Good idea with the flat surface across the stanchions! If only could remember who I lent my 1m spirit level too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just line it up with the tyre. It's not rocket science.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited April 2013
    A friend of mine used to take the front wheel out and rest the bike on its front - the dropouts and the grips. As long as your bars are straight in the stem it'll work. I turn the bars 90 degrees and use the centreline of the tyre tread with the slot in the back of the stem.
  • lbalony wrote:
    Fork Yoke? Whats one of them?? Good idea with the flat surface across the stanchions! If only could remember who I lent my 1m spirit level too.
    the casting/forging that holds the stanchions and the steerer tube.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Not having my stem straight REALLY annoys me, I just fiddle with it until it is... njee20's first idea sounds good.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Line up the bars visually with the tops of the fork stanchions. It's easy with single crown. Gets a lot more more tricky with dual crown forks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carpenters T (like a giant set square - not made by Giant of course), set across the stanchions, set it to mid point using the ruler on it to centralise, then tilt it up and adjust the stem so the faceplate aligns.....

Joking, just set it by eye FGS! How hard is it????
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Does Park Tools not have an 'atomic precision laser aligning level' for this very purpose?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does Park Tools not have an 'atomic precision laser aligning level' for this very purpose?
    They pulled it off the market after OCD people kept getting blinded.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cooldad wrote:
    Then I'm all out of ideas. I suggest OP just keeps it as his 'velodrome bike' and buys another.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    How can such a simple job be made to sound so difficult, i think my 10 year could manage getting a stem straight.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    Try 360 times, one of the angles will be right. 8)
    Guinness for strength
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    cooldad wrote:
    Then I'm all out of ideas. I suggest OP just keeps it as his 'velodrome bike' and buys another.

What if its the wrong angle for the Velodrome though ??? :lol:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Probably easier to change the velodrome angle than stem angle.