Should I worry?

James Q
James Q Posts: 201
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I have a couple of cycling clubs around where I live (Colchester) but I'm worried I wont get taken serious enough or welcomed because I only have a flat bar road bike and not a carbon drop bar thing of beauty. Now, am I being silly and not to worry or does this sort of thing happen? Would really like to gain a few riding partners/friends as currently ride on my own or occasionally with my wife but she has a mtb and is not too keen on road riding.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Don't know any of the clubs personally as not my neck of the woods.

However assume your going on a first ride with 1 or more of clubs before paying to join so you can see what they are like?

Would suggest that a club that treats new possible members in that way would not be one for you and perhaps would not be a good one to join?

Sure there are a few others locally to you on BR who might be able to give you a heads up on the local clubs though.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • James Q
    I will have a look to see if its possible to go and meet them etc before i comit to joining.
  • AlahDamIt
    AlahDamIt Posts: 44
    Why not send them an E-Mail, tell them your concerns and see how they respond. Most clubs worthy of joining will welcome new members. You will find nearly all members wont care what you ride.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • James Q
    Thats not a bad idea, will send them one now.
  • Post on here which club it is - chances are someone will know them or off them.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    You're right to check! Some clubs are snobby about flat bars! A well known club in Cardiff were a bit snotty with me when I enquired about riding with them when I had a hybrid!

Didn't bother in the end and have stayed away from clubs since!
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Try cycling buddy website or sky rides...
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Hi James, check out our Club in my Sig below....we're probly one of the most friendly clubs you'll come across !!
    You'd be welcome with open arms and you know why ! Because You ride a bike !

We've got 1or 2 members who live in Col and ride over for the club runs.

All the best.
    Dicky.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    James Q wrote:
    I will have a look to see if its possible to go and meet them etc before i comit to joining.

Think most decent clubs will let you do a ride or two with them first before committing to joining.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Being snobby about flat bars is daft anyway, 99% of a club run is spent on the hoods of drop bars anyway! I'm a member of VC Revolution, one of your local options, we have a ride every Sat morning. Pace is fairly steady, average about 17mph. Details on our club website www.vcrevolution.co.uk
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • I never knew about cycling buddy, it looks very good.
  • James Q
    Thanks for the replys people, i will look into the clubs that have been mentioned.