This looks wrong but is it?

phal44
phal44 Posts: 240
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I've been slacking off over the winter when it comes to getting out on my bike but as the weather *should* be getting better I thought I'd check my bike over to make sure everything was still in one piece. I had a quick ride around outside and everything seemed ok but then I noticed something weird about the rear suspension that I hadn't noticed before. I've had the bike for a year and a half so I would have thought I'd have noticed this before but maybe I hadn't!

On one side it looks like there is something missing but according to pics online, there isn't as the one's I've seen also have an empty hole there. There is thread on the inside of the hole but it's been painted and there's no sign of anything having used any of that threat until right deep inside it.

8610661286_1807481ec0_b.jpg
Untitled by Phal44, on Flickr

On the other side it looks like something has worked look and is about to fall out but is it? I've tried tightening it a little and whilst it turns relatively easy, it doesn't seem to work in or out and stays at that distance from the frame. Is this normal? (The bike is a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish 2)

8610658556_5410b610db_b.jpg
Untitled by Phal44, on Flickr

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, bolt is loose. Tighten it, don't ride it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • phal44
    Well I've tried to tighten it a little but it feels more like it's not biting in to anything? I can hear something rubbing when it turns but it doesn't go anywhere.

Is the shock itself going to be putting pressure on this when it's fully extended? Am I better depressurising the shock first?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's not catching the threads on the other side properly. Take the shock out and check the start of the threads.
  • phal44
    Well luckily it didn't come to that :) Couldn't quite get it to thread in properly so I let all the pressure out of the shock and managed to get it in there without too much fuss. I can now see the end of the bolt on the other side flush with the frame so that looks better.

Just wondering how it could have gotten to that point before I noticed :/ Don't think the bike would have lasted very long with my weight on there in that state! Only thing I can think of is that someone had a go at taking it apart to steal it from my garage and gave up :|

Thanks for the confirmation anyway :)
  • cooldad
    I doubt it. You need to check bolts regularly - vital ones like that every ride is a good idea.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Try using this:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_ ... ue-242.htm

You will notice most bolts will have what looks like blue paint on.
  • phal44
    Yeah I could see a touch of blue on the exposed thread on the empty side :/ guess they didn't put much on there or this bolt is particularly vulnerable to working itself loose from the movement of the shock.
  • cooldad
    Should be loctited but
    cooldad wrote:
    I doubt it. You need to check bolts regularly - vital ones like that every ride is a good idea.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools