Terrified to go out

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Well not terrified , apprehensive is probably more like it

I've now got some shoes, just cheap muddy fox rbs100 from sports direct, they'll do to start with for 20 quid, but now to see how to work the pedal/shoe combo arrgghh

Think my first port of call is to put the new bike on the turbo trainer and practice getting clipped and unclipped whilst on a steady platform

But eventually, hopefully later today I will try and take the plunge and get out on the road, but really am dreading it

Phil

Edit for spelling
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Phil, youve got the best idea mate. Get set up on the Turbo and just practice Clipping in and out for 10-15 mins.
    You'll soon get the hang of it. Make sure your Pedals are set on the lowest resistance.

It really aint that bad, in no time at all, it'll be second nature. Practice, Practice, Practice. Then get out and ride.

All the best.

Rich.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Indoor practice - good plan.
    Then pick a quiet road and clip in and out going really slowly for a while.

I'd suggest, if you can, have the pedal tension as loose as you can, so that when (not if!!) you forget during the initial few weeks, a yank in panic will still get the foot free.

I did all the practice, but having the tension loose has saved me from a humiliating fall at least half a dozen times.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    you only fall over when stationary, it doesn't hurt and there is usually time enough to roll to protect the bike and you MUST shout "here we go..." it's compulsory :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    team47b wrote:
    you only fall over when stationary, it doesn't hurt and there is usually time enough to roll to protect the bike and you MUST shout "here we go..." it's compulsory :D
    Yes, when I did that (admittedly without the shout, and in toe clips not clipless), I fell into the path of oncoming traffic, right next to a line of stationary traffic which then moved off (and all gawped) as the lights went green.

The oncoming ones were kind enough to wait while I sorted myself out, but now I have the pedal tension loose :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Learn to anticipate the need to clip out - don't wait until you have come to a standstill. As you're coasting up to junctions or traffic lights unclip but keep your foot on the pedal.You can quickly clip back in if you don't need to stop or safely put a foot down if you do.

Rob
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Low tension gives you just enough time to unclip stopping you going over like a plank of wood.

You will fall at some point :twisted:

But then it becomes a hardwired reflex.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    A chap I rode with at weekends just got some cleated shoes for the first time, whenever we stopped anywhere he found a lampost to lean on so he didnt have to unclip - he found it a bit tricky. To me this is the total opposite of what you have to do. Take every opportunity to clip in and out when you're coasting, even when you dont need to. Unclip well before getting to junctions and lights. Soon it will become very natural you will not even think about it.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    What a woman.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,562
    Sprool wrote:
    A chap I rode with at weekends just got some cleated shoes for the first time, whenever we stopped anywhere he found a lampost to lean on so he didnt have to unclip - he found it a bit tricky.
    In my toeclips days, I'd occasionally do this if I was crossing at a pelican crossing, until the day I missed the upright and just fell over. On reflection, it would have been easier to unclip. And less embarrassing.

At least with toeclips I had the excuse that you needed to anticipate enough to lean down to loosen the straps. With clipless, all you have to do is twist the foot, which needs all of, ooh, one second's anticipation?

As you say, best just to get the practice in and get used to unclipping and clipping in - it becomes second nature.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    We all went through this. You'll be track standing clipped in in no time ;)
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Just converted to riding clipless to and the best thing i done was setting the tension loose, has saved me a few times! Best thing I ever done though.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    You soon get very use to clipping in and out, I find it more of a problem getting clipped in properly sometimes than unclipping
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have been known to sand down the pedal in the contact pont on my Look pedals as even with the tension setting I found it hard to unclip and clip in for thatg matter.

Until it becomes natural, practice unclipping when approaching traffic lights to prepare or look for some nice railings to hang onto :wink:
  • Fil6914
    Ha ha ha ha ooch lol

I didn't even get off the drive before I went down, I got one foot clipped in but forgot to get some sort of momentum to be able to get the other in before I knew it I was on the floor with the bike on top of me lol

Sorted myself out and managed to do a very quick 5 miles but very windy and very very cold

The thing I found difficult was the pedals once unclipped hung upside down so spent more time trying to spin them around to get clipped in, I think I'm finding clipping in harder than getting out of them !

Anyhow I'm a member of the gang now and apart from a bruised elbow and ego the bike seems to have got away unscathed.

As for the ride , loved it the bike is so smooth I can't wait till I get a little more confident so I can start to turn the big cog, I'm so pleased with it,

Oh apart from when I took the rear spindle out to put it on the turbo the spindle was very stiff to get out, once I managed to pull it out I've found it is bent, not a lot but obviously enough to be concerned about it, what would you do ?

Do I ring the shop tomorrow and mention it or do I try to straighten it myself given the bike is two days old and only had 5 miles of riding

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • What do you mean spindle? Do you mean the Quick Release Skewer that holds the wheel in the drop-outs?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-steel-rod- ... tAod2g0AhQ

If that's it don't try to straighten it get another one. If not then re post what bit it is (that said I can't really think of a wheel part that I would happily straighten).

If its the QR and the shop will replace it under warrany good if not buy one (if your really skint and don't mind waiting I will happily post you one for the cost of the postage I have loads on them lying the garage - have to be after the 15th though). Also you should have got a QR with your turbo - the turbo ones are stronger steel to take the different/greater force from clamping into a turbo as oppossed to a wheel on the road. If you were using the one that came with the bike on the turbo maybe that's why it bent?
  • Fil6914
    Yeah the qr skewer is bent. Thanks for the offer but I'm sure the shop will change it.

I found it was bent when I took it out to put the turbo one in to use bike on the trainer, the bike one would not fit properly into the clamps of the trainer anyway so it couldn't have been damaged like that.

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    You can use your turbo QR skewer on the road. The only real difference will be the shape of the ends.