Swapping one set of wheels between bikes

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a little build project on the go, slowly building up a hardtail for XC and winter riding. Is there any reason why I shouldn't swap my wheelsets between the two bikes?

I can't see any problem with the front wheel, but wondered if it was a no no putting the rear - or, more specifically, the cassette - to a different chain.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

BTM

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You may have to slightly adjust the gear cable tension, and centre the disc calliper again, but other than that, no.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's only for the other way round - multiple wheels in one bike.

It'll be fine, but if you use one significantly more than the other you'll have problems with one chain being far more worn and this wearing the cassette/causing the other one to skip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Njee syas, you'll have to keep on top of chain maintenance (i.e. buying new ones) but you can go through a fair number of chains for the price of a wheelset!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Other thing to consider is having a pair of rubbish wheels and tyres lying around to put on one bike while the better wheels are on the other....unless you have hanging storage it makes life a lot easier!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why not just swap the chain as well

Or cassettes.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Assuming you have the the same speed chain on both bikes?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • booktownman
    booktownman Posts: 151
    Cheers all for the replies. A second set of wheels isn't really an option - trying to keep the build cost down a bit. I don't want to have to spend on another set of wheels, rotors, tyres, tubes.

I see what you mean about chain wear. Likely scenario is that the hardtail will become the 'main' winter bike so should be able to keep on top of it OK.

Thanks again,

BTM
  • The Rookie
    Assuming you have the the same speed chain on both bikes?
    Would be swapping the cassette then anyway!