New to mountain biking which shorts?

Harry Thorpe
Harry Thorpe Posts: 34
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi There!
I always used to ride mountain bikes when I was younger on the south downs and just to get to get around and just wore normal clothes. I then transferred to road cycling and got really into it so have the tight style shorts and the shoes roadies wear. I am returning to mountain biking as another way of training and I was wondering can I wear my road shorts? or is this making look like i am trying to be a wannabe pro so instead shall I go for some new baggy style ones?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    Fox baseline ones for me! 2 normal pockets, 2 velcro close pockets, and a zip pocket big enough for your phone. It also has a padded arse.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Get some baggies to wear over your lycra... it's worth having something hard wearing for the inevitable brush with trees, mud etc, and it makes you look like 'one of us'. It is apparently acceptable to wear lycra without baggies if you are XC racing! I have Endura Hummvee's which I find very comfortable, but to be honest pretty much anything you find comfortable will do.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, just get some baggies to wear over the top, I got some Altura free with an MBUK subs a while back, been very happy with them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    where whatever you like. Over here (in France) you unfortunately see plenty of lycra on the trails...but each to there own, init?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Over here (in France) you unfortunately see plenty of lycra on the trails...
    Fortune or otherwise clearly depends on 3 factors
    1/ Your gender preferance (Equal opportunities letcher me)
    2/ the wearers gender
    3/ How 'fit' they are!

Unfourtunately it appears that shapely young ladies* tend not to wear Lycra but fat old blokes do!

*Excepting a Young lady in my club......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/More-Mile-Men ... 43b4aa4dfe

These are great for the price, Removable liner too unlike some cheap shorts which came in handy for me over the winter wearing my thermal bib tights underneath.
  • Number18
    Number18 Posts: 9
    Endura Humvee for me too, £45 RRP but can probably get for less. They have 3 or 4 zip pockets that are nearly waterproof, two velcro pockets and zipped air vents. If you choose them, make sure you get the padded liners included.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    +1 for Humvees.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Number18 wrote:
    Endura Humvee for me too, £45 RRP but can probably get for less. They have 3 or 4 zip pockets that are nearly waterproof, two velcro pockets and zipped air vents. If you choose them, make sure you get the padded liners included.

I have these too with the click in liners, they have been great and even a clip on the side to put keys on.

I've just bought a couple of endura jersey tops to wear with the shorts to match
  • Stevolad
    Stevolad Posts: 13
    I got some Fox cargo shorts with a padded liner when I got my bike and they are decent. One zipped leg pocket and two side pockets for 'pocket billiards' and a velcro leg pocket on the other side. Other pair i just got from Aldi before i came away and for £10 they will do for what I need them for
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I got some Avenir Elite MTB baggy shorts from Sports Direct this week for £24.99 (rrp £40). Tough outer fabric, stretch panels, various pockets, zip vents and a removable clickfast padded lycra inner short. I'm impressed - similar to Humvees for half the price. At £40 they'd be good, at £25 they're a proper bargain. Same as these:

http://www.thegreenbikecompany.co.uk/De ... roductName