Feeling a little tad apprehensive

The_Yeti_
The_Yeti_ Posts: 22
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Purchased my first road bike a few weeks ago and I went out for my first ride today! (Delay due to a little injury picked up at the gym, at least I missed all the snow :) ) I only did about 10 miles but I felt really apprehensive the entire time I was on the road! Is this the sort of thing that will pass with each outing or am I being overly cautious? :oops:

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Most likely, best just get out there and with time you will feel more at home on it. Can be a bit daunting being on the road with cars whizzing past at first. When you get fitter and faster and more road/bike wise you will be fine.

Stay safe and enjoy your cycling
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    It's quite normal and it will pass the more riding you do. When you ride on the road for the first time, you feel very vulnerable (because you are), and nervous. After another few rides you will feel more confident.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Sounds normal as it can be a tad daunting.This time of year just take it easy and relax on the bike and you will enjoy it more.
    take your time and just enjoy it.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    Totally agree with the others I was sh!tting myself the very first time I went on the road with my new bike back in November but it will get better.
  • I'm in the same boat. First couple of rides was very scary especially on busy roads, cars don't give a monkeys! My main worry is I had ACL reconstruction 5 months ago and am scared of falling off being clipped in, however, I did manage to get up to 31 mph yesterday! I hold on very tight which is causing sore hands and I've adjusted saddle height but need a shorter stem. I feel more safe with a fellow rider!
  • The_Yeti_
    The_Yeti_ Posts: 22
    Thanks guys! 8)

I am looking forward to getting out, especially now we will be having longer evenings!