speedo

mr_joe0606
mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
edited April 2013 in Road general
hello, i am lookng at getting a new speedo. i want a gps type so i can track my routes but i dont want something big my mates have the garmin and think it looks a bit big but unsure what model they have. i also want heart rate and candence. i have looked at the bryton one,s which look good.
any pics off yours mounted and your reviews will be very much appriciated.

thank you joe

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I have a Bryton Rider 35, and it's basically the same as a Garmin Edge 500 apart from it doesn't have the 'premium' feel to it. If you want a small device then try the Garmin Edge 200. Gives you everything you need in a cheap, small package.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • mr_joe0606
    cheers mate will have a look at them
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I really like the look of these little fella's:
    http://www.o-synce.com/en/products/navi ... 2move.html
    44e7bcf317.jpg
    Can you buy one and let me know how it works out? You can upload routes from your pc into it and it gives directions.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Edge 800 You won't regret it but don't bother with maps as you can download them free. 500 is good but for the extra I would suggest the 800 is worth it.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    hello, i am lookng at getting a new speedo. i want a gps type so i can track my routes but i dont want something big my mates have the garmin and think it looks a bit big but unsure what model they have. i also want heart rate and candence. i have looked at the bryton one,s which look good.
    any pics off yours mounted and your reviews will be very much appriciated.

thank you joe
    images_zpse88e5228.jpg
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • mr_joe0606
    haha thats brill
  • diy wrote:
    Edge 800 You won't regret it but don't bother with maps as you can download them free. 500 is good but for the extra I would suggest the 800 is worth it.
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    i dont want something big

Have you considered a Tom Tom?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    declan1 wrote:
    I have a Bryton Rider 35, and it's basically the same as a Garmin Edge 500 apart from it doesn't have the 'premium' feel to it. If you want a small device then try the Garmin Edge 200. Gives you everything you need in a cheap, small package.

Is that Strava compatible?
  • declan1
    declan1 wrote:

Is that Strava compatible?

I presume you're talking about the Bryton? If so, then yes it is compatible with Strava. You have to download their software first that allows you to save the rides to your PC then you can upload them to Strava. It might sound annoying but it really isn't. I can do it quicker than Strava detects my dad's Garmin 500 :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• smoggysteve
    Cool, One thing I have considered recently is a GPS, been using my iPhone but I dont think its that accurate. Would rather have a dedicated GPS. Looked at a Garmin but was more after one with cadence and heart rate too. Garmin 800 is too expensive in my mind. Sure its great but to spend that amount I would prefer to spend it on something like new wheels. Cheers for advice.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    edited March 2013
    declan1 wrote:
    If you want a small device then try the Garmin Edge 200. Gives you everything you need in a cheap, small package.
    Edge 200 cannot use the cadence and HR sensors. You need the 500, 510, 800 or 810 for that. Of those the 500 is the smallest.

I have the Edge 500 and it is a great piece of kit. Screen is easy to read, you can display as much or as little info as you want. Piece of cake to mount and set up. I'd recommend it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • declan1
    Mikey41 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    If you want a small device then try the Garmin Edge 200. Gives you everything you need in a cheap, small package.
    Edge 200 cannot use the cadence and HR sensors. You need the 500, 510, 800 or 810 for that. Of those the 500 is the smallest.

Ah, I didn't know that! My Bryton can use ANT+ sensors (power, HR and cadence) and I got it for £65!! ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Garmin 500 with HRM and Cadence are now going for about £170. It really is all you'll ever need IMO. In the grand scheme of things that isn't a bad a price for what you get.
  • smoggysteve
    Garmin 500 with HRM and Cadence are now going for about £170. It really is all you'll ever need IMO. In the grand scheme of things that isn't a bad a price for what you get.

http://www.amazon.de/Cateye-Fahrradcomputer-Bryton-schwarz-FA003820004/dp/B007NVEXOS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1364748139&sr=8-4

Can get this though
  • mr_joe0606
    well am thinking about the bryton 35 looks like it has everything i want.
  • diy
    Cool, One thing I have considered recently is a GPS, been using my iPhone but I dont think its that accurate. Would rather have a dedicated GPS. Looked at a Garmin but was more after one with cadence and heart rate too. Garmin 800 is too expensive in my mind. Sure its great but to spend that amount I would prefer to spend it on something like new wheels. Cheers for advice.

Yes they are expensive for what they are, I use mine for endurance rides and you can save 40 mins easily by not having to stop and check the map or back track. Perhaps less justifiable on the road.
  • Lots of different options flying about on here!! Is anyone able to tell me th emain difference between the Garmin 510 and 810, apar from size and price??

Also, just as a sub-plot, does anyone know if these can be used in Europe or would I need to purchase the European maps seperately?

Thanks
  • declan1
    810 can display full mapping.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Mikey41 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

I have the Edge 500 and it is a great piece of kit. Screen is easy to read, you can display as much or as little info as you want. Piece of cake to mount and set up. I'd recommend it.
    totally agree i got the 500 as well and its a brilliant piece of kit....its not to big either and i just mount it on the stem of my bike and doesnt look out of place or to big at all...get the 500....theyre slightly cheaper on amazon including the HRM and cadence sensor.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Love my 500 to bits. Best purchase after my bike.
  • diy
    Lots of different options flying about on here!! Is anyone able to tell me th emain difference between the Garmin 510 and 810, apar from size and price??

Also, just as a sub-plot, does anyone know if these can be used in Europe or would I need to purchase the European maps seperately?

Thanks

I would advise against buying the maps, they are good, but the open source maps are just as good IME. You can download maps for anywhere in the world pretty much, via the Open maps. For MTBers, they are more useful as they have all the trails marked, rather than just blocks of forest for example.
    Mikey41 wrote:

Or an old 305 or 705 if you can get one.

http://www.handtec.co.uk do refurbished ones for about £100
  • mr_joe0606
    well i have just bought a garmin 800 with heart rate and cadence. looking around and i got a good deal.