Remembered everything except...

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
my helmet! :oops:

Went out for what was supposed to be a 30-odd mile run, but realised after 10 or so miles I'd forgotten my helmet. This has happened a couple of times to me recently, last time I didnt realise till a group passing the other way let me know.

Funny how (in my case anyhow) when you realise this it makes you a bit more tentative on the bike, esp on the downhills.

Has anybody done a whole run without realising they havent been wearing a helmet?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,808
    When you're bald you notice pretty quickly.

I envy that you find the difference between riding with and without so small!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Never done that....
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Neal84
    Neal84 Posts: 12
    I've don't this twice once I was less than a mile from home so I just turned back to get it and once I was halfway into my journey so just continued. It defiantly made me feel more vulnerable around the traffic and its not something I'd choose to do. I usually keep my gloves and phone holder in the helmet so that I don't forget.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I have done worse...bike on back of car to mates...and worse still holiday....go to get out on bike....oh crap forgot shoes! Thou on holiday works as good excuse for some new shoes :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    forget it every now and then. feel a bit of a gimp when i've managed to put on my cycling cap and just forgot the lid tho. i would normally leave my gloves and sunnies in it if i can.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,909
    muzzan wrote:
    last time I didnt realise till a group passing the other way let me know.
    I'm just trying to imagine the circumstance in which I'd point out to a cyclist riding in the opposite direction that he'd forgotten his helmet.

Nope, I failed. Can't imagine any circumstance.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    muzzan wrote:
    my helmet! :oops:

Went out for what was supposed to be a 30-odd mile run, but realised after 10 or so miles I'd forgotten my helmet. This has happened a couple of times to me recently, last time I didnt realise till a group passing the other way let me know.

Funny how (in my case anyhow) when you realise this it makes you a bit more tentative on the bike, esp on the downhills.

Has anybody done a whole run without realising they havent been wearing a helmet?
    bit early for a wee bit of alzheimers creeping up on ya there matey :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Don't think I have ever forgot my lid, but I keep my glasses & gloves in the it so pretty easy to pick up before I leave home. I did once do a few kms without doing it up as I just didn't notice I had clipped it up.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    fludey wrote:
    I have done worse...bike on back of car to mates...and worse still holiday....go to get out on bike....oh crap forgot shoes! Thou on holiday works as good excuse for some new shoes :)

I've forgot to take shoes on numerous occasions
    :oops:
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    I prefer to ride without one (yes, I know but I am old and rode for a long while before they were invented and still don't believe that they work to the extent that folk would have us believe) and have 'forgotten' mine on a couple of occasions. :lol:
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Someone I know spent 20 mins looking for the jersey he was wearing!

Not me you understand. Oh no, dearie me no, I’m not that daft. No, it was a friend.

No really.

:?
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • muzzan
    muzzan wrote:
    last time I didnt realise till a group passing the other way let me know.
    I'm just trying to imagine the circumstance in which I'd point out to a cyclist riding in the opposite direction that he'd forgotten his helmet.

Nope, I failed. Can't imagine any circumstance.

Well, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but one of them was looking at me & seemed to reach up & touch his lid, may have just been waving hello, but anyway it kicked my sloth-like brain into gear, not that it helped, was on the way back anyway.
  • Done it once a wile back.
    clip your helmet to you bike so you can not forget it!!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I left on the commute and thought my glasses were very clean, then the windchill hit my eyes and I remembered I left them on the kitchen worktop.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Forgot my helmet once, but I only got to the end of my drive before realising something felt wrong.

Have also forgotten my shoes when driving to a sportive, had to turn round and go home for them, making me rush to the start - which I just about made in time.

Good advice from Wellbeloved
    transition2205110089.jpg
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Keeping glasses in your helmet works until you put the helmet on without removing them. Remarkably I managed 10 miles with an increasingly sore spot on top of my head before I took the helmet off to see what was causing it.
  • muzzan
    clip your helmet to you bike so you can not forget it!!!

Works well, unless you have more than one bike of course !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    hjghg5 wrote:
    Keeping glasses in your helmet works until you put the helmet on without removing them. Remarkably I managed 10 miles with an increasingly sore spot on top of my head before I took the helmet off to see what was causing it.

Seriously ??

I did ride about 3 miles with a jigsaw piece in my shoe once - little kids must have left it there. Managed to remove it on the fly too. Clipless pedals do come in handy.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    When you're bald you notice pretty quickly.

I envy that you find the difference between riding with and without so small!

Not if you wear a buff over your head. I've got to work before realising I've left my helmet at home and when I'm wearing one of my Kask lids, I've sometimes had to tap it to make sure I'm wearing it! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee wrote:
    I left on the commute and thought my glasses were very clean, then the windchill hit my eyes and I remembered I left them on the kitchen worktop.

Classic! i have done this so many times!