First road for a biker

honzacz
honzacz Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I have plenty of experience with my mountain bike, to the extent of building it myself, but being a MTB only guy up until now, I am falling a little short when it comes to choosing a road bike.

SInce I moved to a place where road >> terrain, I want to get a nice bike for semi-frequent rides (cca. 100k, commute only in summer). My budget is around 1200-1300-1400EUR, which, in my opinion, translates to alu frame, carbon-alu fork, and 105 set.

My current "top group" consists of the 2013 Cube Peloton Race (my concern are the Easton EA30 wheels and non-set brakes) and two Canyons — Roadlite 7.0 AL (Ultegra + Aksium WTS) or Ultimate AL 7.0 (105 + Aksium WTS). I don't really care for a shiny brand, and am more looking for a good value for money. And colors do not matter that much either:)

Let me know what you guys think or if you have some other suggestions.
Cheers

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You like your German bikes. Any reason for that? To add another into the mix, A focus and a Cube are very similar. Probably better than a cube TBH. Canyons are great but waiting lists are long. You could pick up a cube or an alternative pretty much anywhere and ride it away knowing you got chance to sit on it first. Canyon are online sales only for UK customers so you take a bit of a risk if this is your first road bike. You need to understand the fit and feel of a road bike is very different to a MTB.
  • honzacz
    honzacz Posts: 3
    Well, I live in Berlin, so that might be the source of my preference:) Do you know if there are places in Germany where you can also try/see Canyons in person? Which Focus would you recommend?

I have some experience with roadbikes (have done multiple rides on my dad's Cucuma), so I know that the fit and position etc. are completely different, so the only concern for me would be finding the "right" bike for me, as e.g. the Cucuma was not exactly perfect for my body proportions.
  • smoggysteve
    Canyon are based in Koblenz near Koln. Long drive to get to that from Berlin, Believe me I know. I used to travel from Moenchengladbach to Berlin just to vist in-laws.

In Germany, Any ZEG bike shops deal with Focus and Cube. I have always found German bike shops even the chain store ones so helpful and will always give you want you need not what they want to push onto you.

Focus wise, the Cayo 4 (Available for €1000) is probably the most popular bike I see out on the roads. I even think its law to own one here if you are German!!
  • Don't forget Rose.

They're in Bocholt, just up the road from Canyons head office in Koblenz. Their massive store "Biketown" looks amazing, I was half tempted to visit myself all the way from here :lol:

What I like with Rose (no idea if Canyon do this too) is that when you enter all your measurements and they suggest a bike size for you (which Canyon do), once you receive the bike, you have a month in which you can send back any item such as bars, stem, post, saddle, chainset etc and exchange for a different size, at no additional cost. Just takes some of that guessing element out of buying mail order.

They also offer superb customer support!

German version of the site: http://www.roseversand.de/
  • smoggysteve
    Don't forget Rose.

They're in Bocholt, just up the road from Canyons head office in Koblenz. Their massive store "Biketown" looks amazing, I was half tempted to visit myself all the way from here :lol:

What I like with Rose (no idea if Canyon do this too) is that when you enter all your measurements and they suggest a bike size for you (which Canyon do), once you receive the bike, you have a month in which you can send back any item such as bars, stem, post, saddle, chainset etc and exchange for a different size, at no additional cost. Just takes some of that guessing element out of buying mail order.

They also offer superb customer support!

German version of the site: http://www.roseversand.de/

Damn, forgot about Rose, and Ghost. Ah well
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Think about if you want to run full mudguards all not - many road bikes don't take them.

PS I think you should buy a Genesis equilibrium with a custom union jack paint job myself!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    passout wrote:
    PS I think you should buy a Genesis equilibrium with a custom union jack paint job myself!

Nobody mention the Spin Spitfire. Shhhhhh :mrgreen: