Correct angle

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads I'm trying to set my new road bike up properly can any one tell me the correct angle my leg is meant to be in in the downward stroke ie the bottom off the pedal I been trying to look online but can't seem to find it I have one off those things to measure the angle just don't know what angle to put my leg at please help lads

Comments

• pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    ....its an individual thing.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just not fully extended. I've never bothered with angles. Merckx was a bugger for faffing around with his saddle height.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    its a good link above but only a rule of thumb since everyone's limbs are different combinations of lengths.
    Another common rule of thumb is to put your heel on the pedal when at the bottom of the stroke your leg should be just about straight but knee not locked out.
    Checking my seat post today I see my saddle height has gradually crept up since first adopting these rules of thumb and is now nearly 2cm above where I set the seat 6 months ago when the bike was new. It now feels perfect for me and I've got about 1500 miles under my belt since I started fettling with it.
    The rules of thumb are a good starting point, but expect to work up or down from there when you feel what works best for you in terms of comfort and pedalling efficiency. It will change over time as you get used to the bike. Try moving the saddle up in 5mm increments, cycle a mile or 10 then move it again. You should soon feel when its too high or too low for you, and at what position it feels more efficient to put the power down.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    The generally accepted range is 25-35 degrees. You want it to be as high as you can get it without your hips rocking as you pedal.