1st 25 mile ride but sore knees

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi im new to cycling and yesterday i did my first 25 mile ride,its only my 5th ride i felt ok on the ride but once i got home and for the rest of the day and also today i have had a sore left knee, the biggrest ride i had done was 16 miles and i stopped yesterday at 27 miles, i felt that i could have done more though, i was wondering could my knees be hurting because i tried too much or just because im not used to it,i am clipped in when riding but felt no pain at all on ride cheers for any help and would you wait till knee felt better of just go out again straight away

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    its quite a lot of strain on the knees if you've only just started. Its to be expected even if you have a perfect set up. If your set up of bar position and saddle position/height is not optimal then it certainly wont help either. I'd give it a days rest then go out and do something a bit tamer till the muscles around your kneecap start to strengthen more. If the pain persists in a few weeks after regular outings then you should refer to a physio and a lbs for checking your fitting. Even silly things like cleats being a bit out of line could start to bring on some knee pain.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I'd also add make sure you stretch. I regularly get knee pain when I am training properly, but it's more to do with not stretching/massaging my calves and ITB, which in turn translates into knee pain/soreness
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon