Sportive newbie questions

tombaxter
tombaxter Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi all,

I have been cycling for a good while and recently sold of my old bikes to purchase a Genesis Croix De Fer, which I have equipped for road/touring use and use for commuting. I would say I put in approximately 80 miles a week currently and am fairly fit (and getting fitter!).

I am looking for advice regarding sportives - I am signed up to the London/Brighton and am planning to do the Magnificat and others this year. The bike is superb but obviously not the lightest - I'm sure it will be more than fine for the London/Brighton but I want to know if it is suitable for say an 81 mile sportive? I know that is mainly down to my fitness etc. but do you think it would be a real struggle? Not looking to wimp out, just a bit clueless as I am new to the sportive world!

Any advice would be appreciated - would love to hear from anyone who has done sportives on a similar bike with no problems for example!

Cheers

Comments

• Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    There isn't really a secret to finishing a sportive strongly. Just remember to stay hydrated, eat well beforehand and get a good nights sleep. Also, don't slack off training-wise the days before, as long as you aren't overdoing it you'll keep the legs fresh...
  • Think he was asking if his bike was suitable lol
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    In the world of Audax where 200km is the norm and 300km a 'proper' day your bike would be classed as pretty lightweight. You'll be fine on an 81km sportive. Don't worry about it at all, if you can ride 50 mles on your own then 81 miles at a steady speed with company should be fine.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    You should be doing that in your sleep.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    You should be doing that in your sleep.

Lol
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Thanks very much for the reassurance and advice Brakeless - have booked it up. Thanks also to SloppySchleckonds for the insightful contributions.