1st 100

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Well 100k anyway 8)

Almost perfect day up here for the 1st 30 or so miles to Garelochhead, bright, mild by recent standards & not too windy. Nasty wee climb out of garelochhead was followed by an even nastier one up to glen fruin. All worth it though as the cycle through glen fruin was the highlight of the run, beautiful snow capped peaks either side & pretty good road almost to myself.

Enjoyed it for the most part, 1st 50mi were fairly comfortable, but last bit was murder. Didnt help by picking a route that ended in 10 mi of rolling hills. Think it was just my legs, felt ok energy wise but I hope the legs will get better as I do more of these distances. Was hoping to keep the ave speed above 17 but the last stretch put paid to that. Its getting the miles in that matters.

Have to say that at the moment 100mi feels a long way off :?

http://app.strava.com/activities/46487586

Comments

• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Chapeau, that's a flipping good average speed.

What he said!

Great ride
  • Good work fella! Sounds like a top ride. You will bash off a hundred miler soon enough, just don't jump straight off to it. My one and only 100 mile ride was off the back of 70 and poor route planning made it 117.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Nice! Glen Fruin looks a bit of a killer :oops: think (know) I would be coughing a lung up on that!
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    Great stuff, mate. Keep up the good work....
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thats a cracking ride matey..kudos.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I can't even get that average speed on a 3 mile ride - well done! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • muzzan
    Cheers guys (and for the strava kudos),

Must say I'm not in any rush to do the 100 miles, just a vague target cause thats what you do right? Also, thinking of joining a club & the ones near me do that sort of distance at times.

For the moment going to concentrate on getting more comfortable at 50+ type distances & take it from there. Dont fancy 40 miles feeling like I did for the last 10 today that is for sure, takes away from the enjoyment which is the whole point :-)
  • muzzan
    Just realised, the route on strava looks like an evil hand (because of the long finger nail obviously!) beckoning you (or something)

Anyway I think it does. Just when I thought the day couldnt get any better!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    First 62 then. Well done - good effort etc. Do let us know when you achieve some other arbitrary number of miles that converts to a numerically tidy equivalent in a different scale. I gather fathoms are a useful measurement. :wink:
  • muzzan
    CiB wrote:
    First 62 then. Well done - good effort

Thank you so much! :P