Borders Roads - Clear of Snow?

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited April 2013 in Road general
Looking to do quite a big run tomorrow and looking for some local info in regards to roads being clear of snow.

Route will be Moorfoots, Innerleithen, St Mary's Lock, Moffat, Talla, Selkirk, Stow and back to the Moorfoots.

Any info appreciated.
Brian B.

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I think you will be fine! Are you talking the main roads? They will definitely be ok. Moorfoot, Innerleithen etc was ok yesterday. I think it will all be ok tomorrow - forecast should be ok!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Brian B
    Will be on the b roads from Moorfoots, Innerleithen to St Marys Loch and the b road along the Talla reservoir and up over the steep climb and back to St Marys Loch
    Brian B.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    edited March 2013
    Brian, on Weds, Gala CC cancelled their Gordon Arms TT (near St Mary's) timetrial due to still-unmelted snowdrifts but I think the route you mention could be clear by now although up past Megget Reservoir and to Talla could still be dodgy - maybe drop a line to someone at Gala CC to be sure?
  • Brian B
    Thanks Bordersroadie.

I am getting withdrawal symptoms of not get out on my bike over the borders roads :lol:
    Brian B.
  • Bordersroadie
    Aye, Brian, they're pretty nice to ride, aren't they? I've been out a lot lately but have had to avoid the really high routes. The hills around Hawick/Jedburgh have been less affected by snow so I've been riding up there until the Yarrow valley area clears.
  • Brian B
    I was at the Yarrow Valley a few weeks back and cycled down to Roberton(road was closed to cars but they let me through on the bike) then over to Ashkirk back over the climb to the Yarrow Valley and over the Swire climb and then to the water wheel café then took the back road along the A7 to Stow, Fountain Bridge.

In a few weeks if we ever get rid of the snow I am going to cycle from the Moorfoots down to Newcastleton via Ashkirk, Hawick, Bonchester Bridge taking in every hill on the way. Then back over the moor to Langholm and take the B709 up through Ettrick all the way through Innerleithen to the Moorfoots at the other side of Pipers grave climb. What a route that is.
    Brian B.
  • Bordersroadie
    They're both fantastic routes, Brian, I know you like your long hilly rides and there's some proper hills mixed into that lot!

All the best.
  • They were clear & (for a change) dry this morning in eastern borders. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Brian B
    I went out yesterday to go over Talla got there to find road blocked well covered in snow ,got to say I was some what disappointed.Roads to Moffat okay
  • Brian B
    Thanks for all replies.

Wimped out this morning when driving down to where I usually park and saw how much snow was on the Pentland hills and the temperature was -4°C. Had a bad fall and still have the scars to show when I hit black ice high up in Moorfoots in October last year(still finished the planned ride though as any like minded cyclist would :wink: ) and thought better of trying my luck today.

Went out local and did 50miles and while it was okay it was not what I wanted but still good and weather was fine and bright. Met my brother today who also cycles and found out he headed towards the Talla yesterday and turned back.

Hoping for next weekend now and any updates would be appreciated.
    Brian B.
  • Brian B
    Any update from local riders on the road's around the Talla and the Swire? I have got a day off work tomorrow and fancy a long day on the bike.
    Brian B.