Fitting new forks, cassette, chain, cables & wheels

sprite1275
sprite1275 Posts: 157
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Going to be doing this next week. Just want to get a heads up on everything that ill need.

After watching a few vids on fitting new forks it seems pretty easy. I need a new starnut and also a bolt to screw in and hammer it in. was wondering if i should be greasing the bearings? If so what with?

Also which lubes should i be getting for chain/cassette?

Anything else i need? I have the tool for the cassette and allen keys, spanners & sockets.

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What headset bearings? Sealed, no, loose, yes.

Chain lube for the chain, it will coat the cassette as well.

Chainwhip? Cable cutter?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below - everything is in there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sprite1275
    What headset bearings? Sealed, no, loose, yes.

Chain lube for the chain, it will coat the cassette as well.

Chainwhip? Cable cutter?

Yea sorry have chain whip and cutters.

Not sure if the head set bearings are sealed or not. If not i suppose general purpose grease will do.

I take it 1"1/4 waste pipe will do to fit the crown race.
  • The Rookie
    Hammer and screwdriver has never let me down.....just tap it down working back and forth.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If it helps, I've always used a socket and small extension ( or a long reach socket ) obviously the socket is just big enough to sit around the thread hole.
  • cooldad
    You'd need a bloody long socket to fit over the steerer tube. And what thread hole? I think you have taken your avatar to heart.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Two stops down from Upton Park I reckon........
  • Cooldad

The op stated "I need a new starnut and also a bolt to screw in and hammer it in"

Just giving an alternative way I use.
  • cooldad
    Cooldad

The op stated "I need a new starnut and also a bolt to screw in and hammer it in"

Just giving an alternative way I use.
    Er then you should have been a bit specific. The OP was asking
    sprite1275 wrote:
    I take it 1"1/4 waste pipe will do to fit the crown race.
    And we were answering that. He didn't ask how to fit a starnut.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sprite1275
    So my wheels came today and i set about fitting all my new shiny bits. Only thing is i bought this http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product to fit my hope mini disc brake to the recon gold but im not sure its going to work. It was last thing and i was finishing up so i took a few pics.
    IMAG1766_zpse2bbf7d8.jpg
    IMAG1765_zpsf2c2b289.jpg
    IMAG1764_zps8c357446.jpg
    IMAG1763_zpsd961496b.jpg
    IMAG1762_zps6610ddd0.jpg
    IMAG1761_zps7e0b9fff.jpg

The adapter is for the 160mm rotor, As you can see the caliper sits a little away from the rotor so all of the pads are not touching the rotor. Ill need quite a few washers to get the caliper centered to the rotor aswell.

Should i continue with it or send the adapter back and get the 180mm and buy a 180mm rotor?

Also while looking at my derailer i noticed the upper jocky wheel has about 1mm play in it, Is this how its supposed to be or is that something else i need?
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    A PM to IS adapter usually means 20mm bigger rotor