Cotic BFe

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited December 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Some forum members might remember me mentioning this quietly....and told me to hurry up, buy it, and get it on here.
So I did. :D
For those who are interested...a bit of bike history (why not?) First proper MTB was a Claud Butler Cape Wrath, judy TT forks, deore groupo. It still lives but one could say it's entered it's latter years. I still have that bike, but it's reached care home status now. It did me proud.
While at Uni I bought a claud butler Cape wrath series 2 (theres a trend here....). Beautiful frame, cheap components. I was just starting to notice the forks going after a few months when it was knicked. :evil:
After this I went to the dark side, swigging energy gels, donning unmentionable clothing and partaking in ''cafe stops'' and ''club runs''. Yes I've enjoyed 3 years of road riding but I NEED MUUD AND KNOBBLES IN MY LIFE.

So without further ado, heres my BFe
8571427405_704ddd2bf5.jpg
Cotic BFe frame in small and rock shox revelation RCT3 dual position forks

Just ordered a nuke proof head set and nukeproof warhead stem.

Thinking super star tesla hub wheels (orange hub black spokes and rim)and flat bars (orange of course), XT brakes, zee 1 by 10, rock shox reverb post.

Thats the build pretty much decided. It's going to take a few months to build but it should be pretty sweeeeett once it's done :D

I am torn with pedals though. It's keeps me awake at night. I can't eat. I can't concentrate. Nuke proof electrons, DMR vaults or shimano saint? :| I can't decide.

Comments

• Go for the shimano pedals. The bearings last well, should be adjustable too if that's your thing. They're also pretty tough. Maybe see if there are any DX pedals on sale as they're discontinued so should save some money. Also, they look pretty good, grip well on the feet and hold up pretty well to crashes in my experience, they're not that light, but they hold up well enough that I don't care.
    Big guy; small air!
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    I love the look of these frames, and that colour looks spot on! :)
  • Thanks! I've been hankering over those saint pedals since they came out, seen a couple pairs in the flesh too and they are :twisted:

It is a great colour! I was torn between black and green, but green won. Green was always going to win.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I went for Gritstone but every time I see this colour I really like it
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • another to the cotic fold!! good choice, Really liking the new colours!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Indeed, I've joined the cotic lovers following :wink: For me it's a combination of I wanted something slightly different, I love skinny tubes (well.....the BFe isn't exactly super skinny but it's skinny enough) and I love that zingy ride of steel. I was considering a soul, but the extra £200 and limited fork travel turned me away.

I'm hoping headset and stem will be fitted when they arrive and then I'll be getting superstar tesla wheels and orange superstar flatland bars :D
  • Nuke proof goodies arrived today. They don't half know how to make good looking packaging!
    Head set and stem to be fitted tomorrow. Just ordered wheels, handlebar, and floating rotors which should arrive soon :D

8619486029_191bfea47b.jpg
  • A few goodies arrived a while ago. Exciting to finally see bits coming together. Apologies for the terrible photo quality, when the bikes built I'll get the DSLR out and do a proper shootout.

Nukeproof warhead 70mm stem
    8660358054_1747c0195c.jpg

SSC blue 180mm floating rotors
    8660357232_5bf262f4e9.jpg

SSC flatland 780mm bar. Going to need to cut it down once the bikes built up, it's pretty huge
    8660355518_7a9e2304e3.jpg

SSC Tesla hubs sapim spokes and Pacenti TL28 rims.
    8659256093_da7091a368.jpg

Just waiting for a couple paydays and it'll be done. I've got a XT 40/28 crankset coming soon.
    Decided against the 1 by 10 as I'm planning to get lost in the Peak district on my days off, so going to need that smaller ring.
    Plan now stands as full XT, reverb post, nukeproof plasma stripe saddle, peaty grips, maxxis something tyres (tubeless), and either saint of SSC pedals...
  • Really looking forward to seeing this Bfe develop.

I'm having a similar dilemma - Saints or Superstar Pedals???
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Thankyou!

I'm really torn - they are identical weight (I'm not prepared to fork out an extra £40 for a Ti axle :? ). pretty much the same price. The SSC pedals feel fantastic, but the adonising does wear off. The saints look INCREDIBLE in the flesh, but they do have a slightly smaller platform. I can feel myself going for the saints...I'm not sure...

XT cranks arrived today, look fantastic. Need to get some of those crankskins things now! More goodies at the end of the month :D
  • www.crankskins.com it is then!!! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • Well, it's finally finished! Well, cut the bars down 2cm either side, and need to shorten the hoses but other than that finished. Very pleased with, much better photos to follow but for now heres the complimentary in the kitchen shot. :D

Hopefully first proper ride will be sunday evening up sherwood pines.

8984671730_13f86d85eb.jpg
  • That looks great! Good to see you moved back from the dark side with style!
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Looks lovely. Welcome to the club. It's a great all rounder.
    With style indeed! Last time I had a proper ride I think I cracked my coccyx (shunted by another rider behind, landed on my coccyx, bounced off my coccyx..... :( ouch!) so that's really put me off road bikes for a while. Plus it ripped the laces on my road shoes so need to repair them anyway. Excuses excuses..... 8)

Anyway, heres a couple better pics
    8996418257_a63df266a2.jpg
    8997609460_0c3fb69255.jpg
    8997613912_e375374e20.jpg
    8996435483_a9c72a8ec9.jpg
    8996414197_2dd4495243.jpg

And before you all start on me....I know the hoses need shortening...on the to do list.

Full spec list:
    Cotic Bfe frame small
    Rock shox revelation RCT3 dual position 150/130mm forks
    Deore XT Shadow Plus RD
    Deore XT FD
    Deore XT Cassette 11-34
    Deore XT Brakes
    Deore XT shifters (with ispec attachment)
    Deore XT double crankset 170mm arms, 40-28 and deore XT bb (will upgrade to hope eventually, if it lasts as ''long'' as my tiagra one on the rb I won't be smiling)
    Super Star floating 180mm Rotors f and r
    Nuke proof warhead headset
    Nuke proof warhead 70mm stem
    Lizard skins Peaty grips (soooo sticky :D )
    DMR Vault Pedals
    Nuke Proof plasma saddle
    Thompson Elite Inline 420mm seat post
    Cotic Componets seat clamp (maybe to be upgraded soon)
    Super star tesla hubs on pacenti TL28 rims
    Onza Ibex FR 2.25 tyres

Off out in a couple hours for the proper maiden voyage. First proper MTB ride in a while :)
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    edited June 2013
    Lovely spec. The cotic seat clamp is poor. I stuck a superstar one on mine and it's miles better, no more dropping down slowly throughout the ride lol. I've just discovered a puncture in my tubeless Hans dampfs, suppose that's what I get for not putting fresh sealant in the wheels in over a year ha!
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Like this alot, how did the maiden voyage go?
  • Thanks for the advice, i've not been overjoyed with the clamp, dosen't do an easy job very well!!
    James Q wrote:
    how did the maiden voyage go?
    Absolutley epic! Forgotten how much fun and how physical MTB is. Stacked it twice though....once because I thought ''yeah, I can do that jump.'' No, I coudln't do that jump. Second time I hit a bump at a wrong angle and the cotic just bounced away :shock: It's fine, I'm not - properly hurt my wrist. See if it improves tonight :(

Other than that epic ride! One of my freinds managed to trash his RD 5 mins in so we had to convert him to SS....Hats off to him!
    Heres the proof!
    9001154846_a2d33dddd2_b.jpg
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I like, A lot! It looks very 'What the f@#k are you looking at you soft twat' in your face.

Fingers crossed I'm gonna upgrade my Bokor frame to a BFe 2.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Nice bike, but waaaay too many clashing colours going on there (explosion in a paint factory springs to mind). Was it inspired by the cushion in your first pic, lol? :wink:
  • explosion in a paint factory springs to mind). Was it inspired by the cushion in your first pic, lol?

yeah thats the kind of look i was going for! I love it! not for every one though...

off to A&E now - can barely move my wrist and its extremly painful.....
  • dusk
    What did you do? I crashed my BFe a month back and sprained my wrist, can't blame it on the bike though!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk wrote:
    What did you do?

lost the front wheel and landed on my hand. Possibility of a fractured scaphoid - they're not sure as apprently scaphoid fractures can take a fortnight to be visable on x ray, so they've stuck me in a cast for two weeks as I'm pretty sore :cry:
    Soo no riding for a while. Getting to work on the bus is killing me - unreliable, smelly and very expensive!!
  • [

lost the front wheel and landed on my hand. Possibility of a fractured scaphoid - they're not sure as apprently scaphoid fractures can take a fortnight to be visable on x ray, so they've stuck me in a cast for two weeks as I'm pretty sore :cry:
    Soo no riding for a while. Getting to work on the bus is killing me - unreliable, smelly and very expensive!!

I've managed to break the scaphoid in both my hands at different times - hurts a fair bit doesn't it and makes your wrist swell up like a balloon! Good news is that once the casts came off neither have ever given me any issues at all.
  • dusk
    Hopefully the fact it's not showing up means it's nothing bad. I dislocated and fractured my scaphoid and snapped the ligaments a few years back, that wasn't fun!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • i've started a cotic owners thread to get a good selection of us together like all the others have!! ;-)
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12928611
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Blimey you, could hang washing on those bars!

Nice bike, whats she like?
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Very nice. Nice and colourful. How's the wrist?
  • Lol, I cut them down ''a little bit'' which made a dramatic improvement!

It's hard to say what it rides like as I only have road bikes to compare it too....I liked it, bit wandery uphill but that's to be expected. I'll be riding it alot after wednesday so will have a better idea soon!

Wrist is ok thanks, improved dramatically so I'm assuming I didn't fracture it. Pot's coming off wednesday morning, can't wait! It's killing me waiting to get back out again!
  • j1979
    j1979 Posts: 4
    great looking bfe, im quite liking all the colours chucked in.

how are you finding the wheels/hubs??