Which trailer

Mark__gti
Mark__gti Posts: 177
So im looking into getting a trailer to take the little man out with me (18 month old)
I went to look at a croozer for 1 trailer which i was impressed with but im not sure if its worth the extra money over a cheap halfords one?
has anyone got a halfords trailer and what do the think of it? or should i just pay the extra and get a croozer?

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Chariots are the best.

Croozers come in second (of ones I've tried) - not light though. Good versatility - trailer, jogger or detach and put the castor wheel on when you arrive at your destination. Quite a bit of cargo space in the rear too.

The thing that most-commonly gets overlooked when looking at the price/quality ratio is how it hitches on to the bike. Cheap ones just latch on to the chainstay (and some can be tricky if you have disks). Good ones have something you actually attach to your bike - the croozer has a hitch that goes on your axle, so under the QR or bolt, depending upon your setup on the rear. Again, you may need to check your bike as some frame have some keep-safe metalwork around there which may hamper you putting it on. It also has a safety strap, just in case.
    IMG_8016.jpg
    (That's a spare hitch on the ground near it).

I'm not a fan of the way a Burley doesn't track in the centre behind you, but I'd imagine you get used to that.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Chariot Cougar, do not even entertain the other ones.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I've got a cheap halfords double trailer, which I find really good. It attaches securely via the rear axle and is easier to attach than my friends Burley. Its light, folds flat very easily and has been durable despite regular use. I use it most weekdays to take my two children (currently aged 3 & 2) to their child minders (a 2 or 3 mile off road route) and it copes well with the tricky terrain. You have to avoid the larger puddles (it doesn't have a solid base) and I have a mudguard on my bike so I don't spray the trailer with mud, but it stands up well to the regular abuse.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~