who takes an old phone with them on rides

nunowoolmez
nunowoolmez Posts: 865
edited March 2013 in Road general
As above: Does anyone take an old phone instead of their current or 'good' phone with them on training rides/races/sportives/mountain tours/ whatever.

Have just been thinking of doing so for long rides, mountain tours 'just incase'. Just interested if anyone does this already?

Ta all

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    why not just take your 'current' phone?
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    my phone is my old phone, it's worth about 3p
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I take one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluechip-Free-M ... B003OQUD2C

It cost a tenner plus a tenner top up and is the size of a credit card. It's purely incase I ever need to make that emergency call.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Imposter wrote:

Because when you fall off/get drowned or leave it in the cafe (assuming that you stop) it will become an ex phone, deceased defunct crocked it dead parrot ..... ( whoops heading off in the wrong direction)

Not ideal with the latest smart phone. Personally my iPhone stays at home and I take an old ( but small) Nokia with me just in case.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have my iPhone 5 in a case which i put in a soft pouch stuffed in my jersey, personally don't see the need for another phone. Don't notice it's there. I've never lost a phone in my life, never leave it lying around.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    farrina wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Because when you fall off/get drowned or leave it in the cafe (assuming that you stop) it will become an ex phone, deceased defunct crocked it dead parrot ..... ( whoops heading off in the wrong direction)

Not ideal with the latest smart phone. Personally my iPhone stays at home and I take an old ( but small) Nokia with me just in case.

Regards

Alan

Here's a tip - leave it in your pocket unless you need it. That way, it doesn't get left in the cafe. Mine gets wrapped in a sandwich bag and stuffed in my back pocket along with a mini-pump. My current phone (HTC wildfire - my only phone) has been through two winters like this and has never been lost - and still works.
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    Strith wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Strith wrote:

+1

My phone is rubbish. I killed my last phone by going out cycling in a deluge and forgetting my phone was in my back pocket (you know it's bad when you have to pour the water out your back pocket as it's starting to weigh you down) so I am now not allowed to have a good phone.

I use the sandwich bag thing too (along with toolkit as my last one got very rusty after water abuse)

TIP: if you do accidentally get your phone completely soaked and it is switched off, if you wait until it has completely dried out before switching it on again, it may be ok. If it was on when it got wet you've had it.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Another sandwich bag man here, iphone goes in one all year round and sits in my back pocket.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I take my old phone in my back pocket. I find the heat/sweat from my back makes the phone slightly damp. I don't want to submit my nice smart phone to this.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Only have the one phone & its an iPhone. Like others has its own case & sits in a bag with change, keys etc & the last time i was knocked off my bike it survived without any issue.

If I were out on the MTB have a hard waterproof case that it goes in that gets chucked in the bag
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I use my iphone. Been in my pocket for the last two years. 26,k miles later it still works fine?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Iphone and plastic bag works for me too. Whats the point in having one and not taking it with you ?
    A cheapo nokia isnt any use for strava or looking at a map when you've no idea where you are.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    I take my work phone, which is a new blackberry after killing the old one in a cycling accident.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    farrina wrote:

This is a good point. The best thing with expensive phones is to keep them in a safe deposit box at the bank and then you know they will be safe!

Or just buy a phone that is fit for purpose :wink:

(another 3p phone user here!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    I use one of these:

http://www.triharder.co.uk/lezyne-phone-wallet

It's waterproof and holds my card and money too. I see little point in having a phone packed with all the features like gps, mapping, etc and not taking it when you are most likely to need it
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    what does it matter which phone you take with you?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    +1 for the sandwich bag. I work on the assumption that it's unlikely to come to harm in a back pocket, this has certainly been the case in three or four "offs", one of which broke several bones but did no harm to the phone. Yes there has to be a small chance of the phone coming to grief, but as Cougie says, what's the point of paying for a phone with a host of useful functions to leave it sitting at home?
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Makes sense to me. Although it's not particularly old, I cycle with a £25 PAYG Nokia phone in a zip-lok bag.

The battery lasts about 6 weeks, it weighs next to nothing and I don't have to worry about getting it wet, damaged, lost etc.

My kids laugh at it, but at least they never want to borrow it :D
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    My everyday phone is a Nokia C2 which only cost £50 unlocked from eBay (brand new). I bought a PAYG Samsung for £20 to use while out riding but couldn't be added in the end. That lives in the car now and my Nokia goes in one of those neoprene sleeves that bike mags occasionally give out free. Works fine!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I would take my old phone, and have tried, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. No idea what I've done with it...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Am I the only one looking at the emergency phones and comparing weights with my iPhone.... 8)
  • Sandwich bag + phone insurance. Costs about £5-6 a year.

Edit: I mean £5-6 a month!!!

I would add that I once wrecked a phone in an MTB accident and got a new the next day. That was with O2.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Most bank accounts have mobile phone insurance for free. Mine is covered through RBS so I don't worry about it. But I've been carrying mine in a sandwich bag in my back pocket for years without issues.

I'd actually say dropping and damaging a phone is more likely when not on the bike anyway.
    More problems but still living....
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I just carry my smart phone (sony experia mini so its pretty small anyway) in a sandwich bag which also contains my debit card, money and house keys.
  • Ive got an iPhone which doubles up as my satnav on the stem, but i can understand the appeal of a cheap phone for rides especially during the winter!
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    When my smartphone suddenly stopped working and manufacturer refused to fix it, I get one of these 'waterproof' phones, I liked samsung solid immerse, costed about 70 pounds, holds for weeks. Just what I needed for mtb, road, running, expeditions and other outdoor activities. Also 3 p phones are great. Also a sleeve for smart phone will do the job.