Knee pain AFTER I started foam rolling !!

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited March 2013 in Road general
I mentioned about 1 month ago that id bought a foam roller and every night religiously ive used it for my quadriceps and IT band muscles. Ive never sufferred from knee pain before, but lately ive been getting a sharp pain in my left kneecap if I raise that knee up :shock: and if I ride my bike there is no pain. I find this puzzling as its only come on the scene since I started foam rolling, anybody got an inkling as to what might be going on ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    maybe stop the foam rolling for a bit? If the pain stops, there's your answer..
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Have you had issues with your ITBs before or since you started rolling? It's pretty rare that you need to roll them out every night. I only do it if they're tight or in a bit of pain and tbh haven't needed the roller for a few months.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like its liked to your ITB's but not sure exactly how. I'm not sure that working on your ITB's every day is a good idea as they are not like a larger muscle group & do need some time to recover if you are working them with the roller correctly.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.