Trek Domane

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi all,

Just been looking at bike frames and I'm not a Trek fan but the Domane looks like a great all round bike, good tyre clearance and removable mug guard eyes. However you can only buy the top of the range f&f and for me trek are over priced as bikes. The idea of running one bike year round is the holy grail for me only wish other makers would follow.

What's everyone's take on the Trek Domane and the general idea behind it.
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• I'm not sure what you mean when you say Trek are "overpriced"? How so?
    I currently have an old Bianchi and the Trek Domane is right up there on the list of next bikes. For me it seems to tick all the boxes.
    I've heard nothing bad about Trek as a bike maker. A guy at my workplace had an ancient Trek (1000?) and it was a sweet bike.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Trek prices are pretty much inline with the competition. If you feel it's not worth it, then get something cheaper or second-hand. By all accounts it's a solid bike and all the Domane owners I've spoken with are well chuffed.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cal_stewart
    I do think treks are overpriced compared to cube,rose,canyon etc. I have owned a trek in the past and they are not bad bikes.

I was more thinking about the way the Domane is a mega all runner and do you think more makes with follow with something similar.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • I do think treks are overpriced compared to cube,rose,canyon etc. I have owned a trek in the past and they are not bad bikes.

I was more thinking about the way the Domane is a mega all runner and do you think more makes with follow with something similar.

I have the Domane 5.2 and done 175 miles on it and feel happy coming from the Madone. It has a good rigid feel to it when putting the power down and for me it hasn't sacrificed it's aggressive nature for it's comfort.

I am really happy with my bike although prefer better colors but that wasn't my priority when I tried it out. I would recommend to anyone.

Certainly wouldn't say over priced I don't think they would get away being over priced with whats out their on offer so I would say test ride a few before deciding.
  • Grill
    Errr... Don't compare Trek to Cube. It's not fair on either brand. Both Canyon and Rose are direct sales only so of course their prices are more competitive as not using retail outlets means they can keep all their profit.

If you want a bike from those other brands then buy one. You're the one who has to pay or it and ride it. You can run any bike year round. I have buddies who do it with their Dogma 2s and R5s.
  • cal_stewart
    your right about the colours, also I have no doubt over how good the bike is. However does anyone think other makes will copy the ideas that trek have set out it this frame.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • cal_stewart
    hahaha grill. Your a bit of a bike snob.

For the record I run SR11 all year round.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • Grill
    No because it's patented. Other brands have similar frames that are just as compliant using different tech such as the Spec Roubaix and 'Dale Synapse.

Bike snob? No, I'm just a big believer in buying cheap means you'll buy twice. Look inside the seat tube of a Cube and then a Trek. It's pretty obvious which is superior.
  • cal_stewart
    That's funny my LBS is a large trek and cube dealer and the owner rides a cube. I've had a good look at a cube funny enough as I nearly brought one before my canyon when I was a Trek owner. Nothing wrong with them.

Removable ones are granted how about more fixed mounts?
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS