too slow for club run? no idea where i need to be

xchudy_1325
xchudy_1325 Posts: 85
edited March 2013 in Road general
i may be getting caught up to much with avg speeds, but what is a good avg? my last/only 5 rides 12/14mph there isnt much elevation but i want to know where i need to be so i can look to joining in on a club run, i dont want to slow them down by myself not being upto par but i just dont know where par is

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The general answer will be this is a slightly pointless question without knowing what type of ride you did. Can you post up a link to your ride, Strava perhaps.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    i find the best average speed to aim for is the speed your cycle computer takes to leave your hand and land on the other side of a large hedge. what does it matter what your average is ?
    lift your head up, have a look at the nice country side around you, feel the crisp clean air in your lungs and most of all, remember that your enjoying your self.

my missus trains with a power meter and I've got to say, IT P1SSES ME OFF, it takes all the fun out of a nice ride.

rant over, these are my views and other views are available.
  • big p wrote:
    i find the best average speed to aim for is the speed your cycle computer takes to leave your hand and land on the other side of a large hedge. what does it matter what your average is ?
    lift your head up, have a look at the nice country side around you, feel the crisp clean air in your lungs and most of all, remember that your enjoying your self.

my missus trains with a power meter and I've got to say, IT P1SSES ME OFF, it takes all the fun out of a nice ride.

rant over, these are my views and other views are available.

i understand what your saying, i only take note of my avg when i get home, only thing i take any notice of really is a top speed down hill :D, and my heart rate oh and cadence, i find i get lazy a little and coast,

all im after is advice on where i should be before i look to join in on a club run, the last thing i want is to spoil others rides because im not quick enough
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    big p wrote:
    what does it matter what your average is ?

It matters because the poster wants to know if they can keep up with a club run. To answer the question, it depends on the club and what range of runs they have. The club I'm a member of has three Sunday runs and 12-14 mph would be fine for you to keep up with the slowest of those. The distance might be an issue though as the rides you posted are quite short compared to most club runs. What club are you thinking of joining?
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    i understand where your coming from, most clubs have 2 or 3 different groups, just join in with the slow one and see how it goes, there unlikely to totally drop you and you'll be able to make a good assessment of your ability.

a friend of mine rides with Bolton hot wheels, they put some good miles in but I've never seen them go higher than about 13 mph/av.

http://app.strava.com/activities/46180188
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    I cycle 25-40mph rides around 14-15.5mph average and consider that is too slow presently to join a club - particularly given most club runs are 50miles plus which I think would reduce my average speed down to about 12-13mph which I would guess is too slow.

Big aim is to improve over the next 2 months and then join a club. My local club does some induction type rides of 30miles which I will join over the next few weeks though, so maybe your local does similar and they can offer some advice?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    i may be getting caught up to much with avg speeds, but what is a good avg? my last/only 5 rides 12/14mph there isnt much elevation but i want to know where i need to be so i can look to joining in on a club run, i dont want to slow them down by myself not being upto par but i just dont know where par is

Depends on the club really. My local club has 4 groups and your in the intro group rider pace with your figures, but as an intro group they do have a strict rule about not leaving anyone behind.

If you post which club you were thinking of joining perhaps other BR members who are or were members might be able to let you know what that club does?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Forget speed, from your strava links you need to work on miles.

Average club ride will be 40+ miles and you seem to do much shorter runs.

Once you can cycle for 3 to 4 hours solid you should be OK.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Problem with averages is that every bodies will be different, as an average depends on lots of factors from your fitness level, weather conditions, road conditions (distance cycled) and type of bike.

My own average, for what it's worth, this year has fluctuated between 15.5mph and 17.5mph. The local clubs near me suggest an average of 14 to15mph for the 'slowest group' up to 20+ for the top groups. The Club runs go from 30 miles up to 80+.

Why not contact the club and find out more about them & their club runs etc?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    It really depends on the club. We are quite a new club, only 2 years old, and encourage anyone to come and ride with us. Currently there are three groups. The cafe ride is the slowest and averages 12-14mph covering a distance of approx 30-40 miles. Middle group is 14-16mph covering a slightly longer distance. Fast group is 18mph+ covering 50+ miles. All clubs are different but I'm sure they would all be pleased to see new members join. Apart from our fast group, we operate on a leave no one behind rule as I'm sura many other clubs do. So just turn up and have a go :D
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    I went on my first club run a few weeks ago ago and at one point going up a hill my heart rate was 98bpm and I thought this has got to get faster, then after the tea and cake stop we split into 2 groups one faster than the other and off we went. In hind sight it was a good move to ride the first part slowly as I got to chat to other riders, so just go along and enjoy the ride it will give you something to aim for if you find yourself going to slow.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Don't forget guys that it's much easier to ride in a group. Around 30% less effort when you're behind someone. Just work on your distance (endurance) and don't worry about the speed.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    My first ride I couldn't do 5 miles. I didn't join a club until I could do at least 40 miles at a reasonable pace, ( 14 mph ish) First long Sunday club ride was 55 miles and tough, but just what I needed. Club had some mid week rides to get used to groups / pace before the Sunday ride. Now 18 months later I'm happy to say I can keep pace with fastest / help newbies get back on etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you're getting there. As the others say - the rides are a bit short - but the speed isnt far off what our slower club run would be at.

One thing though - I'd get away from the A41 and into the quieter lanes. Much nicer to cycle on. Check out the Eureka at Two Mills for clubs - plenty leaving there at the weekend.
  • cougie
    Oh hang on - youve only been riding a week ? I think you need a bit more time before you join a club - get more miles under your belt and be confident in riding, drinking from a bottle on the go etc.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    if you're riding 5 days in your first week might that not be too often ? Someone on here will know better than i but i thought you needed rest days for your body to recover & re-build muscle; especially as you've only just started cycling.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    cougie wrote:
    Oh hang on - youve only been riding a week ? I think you need a bit more time before you join a club - get more miles under your belt and be confident in riding, drinking from a bottle on the go etc.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Your speeds are quite slow - but get more miles under your belt and more time on the road and you will improve! I would contact your road club and see if they have a beginner group!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thanks for the repiles guys, i will msg the club and ask about routes, i could keep pace on flatish terrain maybe, but any sort of real hill trips me up big time
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It's also worth remembering that if you are drafting each other as a group you can add 2mph to your speeds quite easily.

Just make sure you understand the protocols before attempting it!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I live in Little Neston so know your rides well. I am fairly new to road cycling and have been going out on rides with a club cyclist, we rode out to West Kirby on Friday and on the way back going up Thurstaton hill he stayed in the big ring and powered up it shocked me how much fitter I need to get.

When I am fitter and stronger I am going to join a club.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    OP - I have been riding for 15 months now, and in a club for the last 7 months. Today only 5 turned up and as soon as I saw the faces I knew I was in trouble.

Had to cut short as after 30 miles way faster than I could really do I had to admit defeat.

So I am too slow for club rides too. All this shows is that I need to work harder and ride more so we are both in the same boat.

So my new answer is even when you are in a club you can still be too slow for a club. He Ho. :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I am fairly new to road cycling and have been going out on rides with a club cyclist, we rode out to West Kirby on Friday and on the way back going up Thurstaton hill he stayed in the big ring and powered up it shocked me how much fitter I need to get.

Possibily, but different people have different techniques on hills. One rider might be pushing a big gear whereas another is spinning a smaller gear, but they could climb at exactly the same speed.
  • To cut to thye chase just join a decent cycling club in your area and get yourself out on a couple of their easier club rides and build from there. Yeah you might get dropped a bit in the early stages but we have all been there and they will wait for you. There are alot of fabulous clubs in the UK who cater for all levels and there are alot of riders within them with huge amounts of knowledge, experience and passion for cycling. Forget average speeds, strava and all that b#####ks and just enjoy riding your bike!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    :D Can't believe some of the crap in some posts lol. |Just go along and have a go, if you cannot keep up you can drop off, eventually you will be fine.
    You cannot be any worse than some of the knobs I have seen on some club rides lol
    Many rides I have seen or been with when travelling have no idea to ride tempo, ride as a goup and stay in a group either. Or how to change off the front, so just go along you may teach some of them a thing or two lol
  • cougie
    Joining a club is an excellent idea but I think a bit more riding experience would help first.
    A week isn't very much.