5"5 frame size?

oliver98
oliver98 Posts: 12
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, would a 54cm bike fit me- A 5"5 teen, if so How long would frame last?- cause i'm growing

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Imho no i am 5 foot 7" and a 54cm is pushing it , you could probably do it but you would really need to to have the seat well forward and a really short stem to make it fit .
    I would go and try one for size but i hope you prove me wrong .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    No. I'm 5' 10" and ride a 54" frame. Fits like a glove.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    54cm and 5'5"? I very much doubt it fits.

Some slope steeply so seat tube is shorter than ones with horizontal top tube. Giant Defy in Small is 46cm but should fit you while their 53.5cm is M/L and would probably suit 5'10" to 6'2".

As for growing room, seat posts are long so there's plenty of room upwards and it's generally better to swap to a longer stem on a slightly too-small frame than stretch you across one that's too large.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Ignore the above. The only way to tell is to Get a fit or speak to someone competent at your LBS. if you are long bodied, you could well need a 54. I'm 5'6 and ride a 53 as my beater (BMC Slc01); my posh bike is a 54 (Madone). There's no way any Internet "experts" can tell you what fits or not, and with the potential for injuries take e-advice with a pinch of salt.

Originally, I thought I needed a 52 frame, but the bike fit revealed other things that needed changing, such as shorter cranks (165), and 380mm bars.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The key dimension is reach not seattube size but it's likely for your height, to make a 54cm frame rideable you'll have little seatpost showing and probably need to run a really short stem e.g. 8cm or less. You'll likely to be quite stretched out and probably look like you nicked your dad's bike, like the guy above ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    At 5'5" you are about 167cm therefore you need a 50-52 max. Sure you may still be growing in which case you are probably better off getting a cheap frame you can replace after a year or more. How old are you? Could have a bearing on how much more you are likely to grow. If you are about 17 or older I woulnt think you would grow much more than you are now, maybe an inch but not alot.

Getting back to the size you need now, I ride a 53cm Bianchi and I am 172cm ( not sure of it in Ft & Inches) But then 53cm Bianchi is not going to be the same as say a Specialized or a Felt with sloping Geometry. I was looking Dolan frames a while ago and they say a 48 was close to my size. Different makes have varying quoted sizes. End of the day, unless you go sit on a bike and try it out you will not get a good idea what you require.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    stongle wrote:
    Ignore the above. The only way to tell is to Get a fit or speak to someone competent at your LBS. if you are long bodied, you could well need a 54. I'm 5'6 and ride a 53 as my beater (BMC Slc01); my posh bike is a 54 (Madone). There's no way any Internet "experts" can tell you what fits or not, and with the potential for injuries take e-advice with a pinch of salt.

Originally, I thought I needed a 52 frame, but the bike fit revealed other things that needed changing, such as shorter cranks (165), and 380mm bars.
    Why ignore it?
    You can make a smaller bike fit you by raising seat and extend stem, but cannot make a too big frame fit you. Short stem is unstable, and low seat post feels awful.
    Prob 48 would fit. By the way I am 5'10" with 33" legs (imperial lol) and ride a 53.5 and a 54.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    At 5' 6" I got a 54 as it was cheap :roll:
    It very quickly became obvious that it was actually too long, which was more of a problem that the fact that it was too tall as well :oops:
    I spent ages messing about with short stems and smaller bars before I just gave in and got a smaller frame, which feels so much better to ride.
    I got a 49, but I guess the actual size for you depends on the make of bike/frame you choose!