are my times any good???

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
hi lads im pretty new to road cycling only been out 10 times on my road bike now just wondering if my times are any good i have no idea if im quick slow or extremely slow i dont know i can do 18.2 miles in 1hour 4 mins with average mph off 16.2 and thats with 2 big hills in it to which are first gear efforts how do i compare lads?????

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Comparisons are pretty hard to do & also pointless for a number of reasons. But for a first effort I would say that your time/distance is very respectable.

Its up to you now if you want to get better & do you look at distance and go for the monuments of cycling or speed if your into your racing or strava blagging or do you do what most do and try to do both.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Your times are better than your sums!! ;) 18.2 / 1hr4min = 17.06mph :D
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    thats respectable,even after the re-calculation.how big are the hills you ride,as these will slow your time.Dont worry about it to much as there will always be quicker and slower than you.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    What might be first gear efforts and big hills for you might be a breeze for others which only goes to highlight the problems in making comparisons.
  • Whufcrule
    Yeah cheers lads like I say I didn't know how I was doing that's all not trying to be the next Bradley wiggins just enjoying my cycling obviously wanna get better and faster that's all and as for my sums I never was any good at maths haha prob why I'm not working in a office some where I just a humble builder haha cheers lads
  • Whufcrule
    I'm not on strava what ever that is mate I'm on garmin connect if that's any help
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Whufcrule wrote:
    I'm not on strava what ever that is mate I'm on garmin connect if that's any help

Me too not a Strava user but use my Garmin quite a lot - word of warning just make sure you have your settings to private, unless you want everyone being able to see your routes & therefore where you live.

Keep at it & your times will get better as will your overall fitness.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    I'll be happy with that.
    Only been out a handful of times with limited time
    Went out for a short ride today of only 8 miles as had to be back to help out with little ones at home
    First time out in strong winds and average 12.5mph, first time I've experienced having to battle with head wind and having to pedal against the wind down hill!
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Whufcrule wrote:

You can upload your garmin connect to Strava. Strava will show you lots of stuff but the main focus is on segments and being able to "compete" against other riders or more importantly yourself. Useful for training.
  • Whufcrule
    Yeah the wind is a nightmare aint it always seems to be against me haha if its not trying to blow me clean off the bike it's in my face haha roll on summer my first summer off road cycling can't wait to get some serious miles logged up fingers crossed
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Whufcrule wrote:

You can upload your garmin connect to Strava. Strava will show you lots of stuff but the main focus is on segments and being able to "compete" against other riders or more importantly yourself. Useful for training.
    Exactly the reason you should use Strava. Then you wouldn't need to come on here and ask if your times are any good. Strava would tell you!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac